Anyone else have outrageous UPS billing adjustments?

Korianna
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone. So I tend to use UPS on the heavier packages I ship. I usually have no problem until early this month. In late December I shipped a package that weighed 56 pounds (but I put in it weighed 59 just to be safe). I measured the box and when I dropped it off at the UPS store they weighed the package and gave me a receipt stating the weight and dimensions.

Fast forward to Jan 04 and I get a billing adjustment on the package. The adjustment states that the package was 61 inches long (I'm 61 inches, and I have a Corvette...there is no way I could get a 61 inch package in my crummy tiny "trunk") and they said the weight was 144 pounds. I'm a short girl, I'm sorry but there is no way, just NO way I could carry a 144lb package that was 61 inches in length. I am so upset because UPS took $104 out of my paypal that was my personal money (I paid all my Ebay fees, etc.) They literally stole over $100 from me.

I called and made a complaint with UPS and they said they can't do anything. I opened a claim with Paypal since apparently it was done through the Paypal debit card (weird.) I called three times (Paypal) they opened a claim and it's been over a week and still nothing. Yesterday I called the last time and they told me that UPS is not suppose to take more than 15% of the shipping cost without permission. A supervisor should be calling me today (crosses fingers!!!)

Has this ever happened to any of you? I searched for questions about UPS overcharging and it's mainly just people misunderstanding how UPS puts the money on hold, then it goes back into your account, then removed again, This isn't the case though. Am I the only one experiencing this???

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Korianna
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened again to me. I shipped a package with UPS that weighed 20lbs (UPS even weighed it when it was dropped off). I just got a billing adjustment saying the package actually weighed 132lbs and not 20, and they billed me $112. So, this is only happening to me???

Login to Me Too

julanow
Contributor
Contributor

It just happened to me too although not nearly as drastic.  I shipped out a package and pre-paid and printed my label for 6 pounds (it was a return and when it was shipped to me origiinally it was 5.6 pounds and it included a couple of other items). 

I dropped it off at the UPS store and have the receipt stating it was 4.9 pounds.   I got a billing adjustment stating that it was 17 pounds!  It was only about a $5 difference but it is still the principle behind the matter.  As much as I hate USPS I will probably just go to them as I have never had a problem (just really slow).

Did you ever get a resolution?

-----EDIT----

So I just did a bit of research (I just got the notice today and didnt get a chance to research or call before my post...stupid move by me).  But, for anyone else reading this it turns out that mine was billed by "dimensional weight" rather than "actual weight" because the dimensional weight was more.  When doing the math, it turns out I was billed correctly although I had no idea.  The notice just says that I was billed for 17lbs.  Very very very misleading.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/dim_weight.html?WT.mc_id=VAN701060

Login to Me Too

Joe15
Contributor
Contributor
Yes happens to me all the time . I been shipping for 10 years big boxes with UPS . On every other package I got $56 extra fee after delivers ...because they AUDIT THE BOXES AND THEY INCREASE THE MEASUREMENTS OF THE BOXES ILLEGALY BY 1, 2 INCHES WHICH PUTS IT OVER THE SMALL PACKAGE LIMIT IN MY CASE ...AND THATS WHY THE EXTRA CHARGE . FOR MANY YEARS I CALLED ONCE EVERY MONTH MY UPS ACCOUNT REP AND DISPUTED THE FAKE CHARGES WITH HER ..AND I GOT BACK MOST OF IT ...BUT IN THE PAST YEAR SHE STOPPED COOPERATING WITH ME ...SO NOW THEY GIVE ME NO CHANCE TO DISPUTE...SO I SARTED WRITING THE MEASUREMENTS ON EVERY BOXES EVERY SIDE AND EDGE LIKE THIS >>>" 65" LONG , 23" TALL, 9" WIDE" SMALL PACKAGE , PAY ATTENTION UPS AUDIT GUY !!! OVERCHARGE YOUR MOTHERS BOXES NOT THIS ONE !!"<<< I even posted photos of these box messages on social media people think it's hilarious . BUT THE CHARGES KEPT BUILDING UP ...AND I KEPT TRACK OF EVERY FAKE CHARGE ,,I SAVED EVERY EMAIL FROM UPS BILLING DEPARTMENT AS PROOF . I HAVE NO CHOICE TO SUE UPS FOR $5,000 USD THEY OWE ME FOR THE PAST ONE YEAR . ONE FRIEND WHO IS MANAGER AT UPS TOLD ME THAT THE PERSON WHO AUDITS THE BOXES ..HE GETS PAID $60,000 SALARY /YEAR AND HE NEEDS TO SQUEZE THAT 60K MONEY FROM BOXES HE OVERCHARGES .....SO HE GENERATES AN INCOME FOR UPS ...OTHERWISE HIS JOB WOULD BE NON PRODUCTIVE . IF WE CATCH AND DISPUTE THE FAKE CHARGES ...WE MAY GET IT BACK ..BUT IF WE DONT THAN THEY JUST MADE SOME EASY MONEY . AND OFCOURSE THE DISPUTE IS MADE TO BE A VERY UNPLEASANT PROCESS ...BC THEY WANT YOU TO GIVE UP ON IT . JUST LIKE A POLICE OFFICER ..HE NEEDS TO GIVE OUT CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TICKETS SO THE TOWN HAS SOME EXTRA REVENUE , AND HIS JOB BECOMES PROFITABLE .
Login to Me Too

IanMomof2boys
New Community Member
I am LIVID and exhausted dealing with UPS. I took over billing for small biz- they had it set up to pay bill electronically as it came through weekly. Sole business depends on shipping - 99% done through UPS. They bill us weekly and average bill is $400-500/wk ... Average 'audited' increase amount is $75-125/wk! 2 years of shipping and not one person knew this was happening! No one thought there was a need to check the bill. We use ONLY U-Line boxes- measurement is ON EVERY BOX! After I started disputing every claim regarding measuring (if both box sides go over 30" there is $9 added to ship cost- conveniently the only side that got the 'audit' change would be the 28" sides- they just happened to be over 30"... But NOT all, some would be 29" or 32".. We are talking the EXACT SAME SHIPPING BOXES that we order by the pallet full!) anyway- now they are on to the additional weight charges. Avg box shipped is 25lbs... It's same rate as long as we don't go over 33lbs... You guessed it!! Now our boxes are weighing over 33lbs! Some have 1lb added- some have 3lb- some have 12lbs!! If our scales were off, we wouldn't have this issue of random % added.. It would be consistent amounts... I am so fed up! (I think my rep is sick of my emails/calls too. So far he's helpful.) .... I've seen in 2011 a class action suit against them for this- think they would have learned. I wonder how many businesses don't chk their bills like we didn't until we had way too much 'stolen'..... No wonder the little ppl can't make it!! To busy fighting Corp Giants!
Login to Me Too

brucelmain
New Community Member

We use UPS for almost all shipments other than smaller packages that save money by using USPS. The weekly adjustments charges we are receiving from UPS are really getting out of reason. We are now spending at least an additional 3 minutes measuring and entering package sizes for each box going by UPS. Since this issue has become a major expense we hve taken the extra time to be very positive about the size of our cartons and actually add an inch to be sure we do not see these charges as it comes right ofrf our bottom line. Even with all of the extra time and effort UPS is constantly adding adjustmenmt charges.

We believe this is a scam by UPS to get additional revenue as they do not take our data as being accurate only what their system uses. Another issue is address corrections, everything can be correct on an address but the city name which may have changed.

Their system accepts the address as being correct, but then the driver note the city name change and this creates an instant $15 charge.

If enough people start bringing this problem to other businesses, maybe a law frim will file a class action law suit and briing an end to this ripoff.

Login to Me Too

tabbycat562012
New Community Member

Yes. i have been hit by UPS for outrageous amounts of money. Time to move on to Fed Ex. Even after UPS stating that the money would be returned to my paypal account i have not received a dime. Disgusting. Fed Ex is much better at handeling your packages and claims if something does get damaged witch is not often and i have never once been hit with a billing adjustment.

Login to Me Too

greengene
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it has happened to me many times. This last  time UPS agreed to refund a $320 adjustment. They say the sent the refund 3 weeks. T beleive they did but it is lost in that virtual debt card system paypal uses. I going to stop using paypal for UPS shipment.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.