Cannot open a dispute..

ambipur2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,wondering if anyone can help? I bought a cd from an e-crater store,and ..nothing has happened,the payment has gone unclaimed,the seller isn't responding,( via the ecrater contact seller option) and the email contact adress on the seller's storefront is invalid..So,I go to Paypal and decide to cancel the transaction,but I can't.

I try to open a dispute and simply get a message saying I cannot open a dispute at this time,as the transaction is "incomplete",implying this is because it hasn't been claimed,it won't accept the transcation id number,and the "help" pages on Paypal are saying "page not found"..all very unhelpful.

I have contacted paypal,who,instead of answering my question,which was "what can I do about an unclaimed payment,if I cannot open a dispute" and simply sent me a detailed email,telling me how to open a dispute.So helpful.Not.

What can I do?

I seem stuck with this unclaimed payment,I understand that it will be returned to me after 30 days,if it remains unclaimed,but as the person to whom I sent the payment is clearly,uninterested in claiming it,or unable to claim it,this is a long time to wait,really.I can't seem to do anything at all,about any of it,which seems ridiculous!

Can anyone advise? thank you,in advance!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If there is no cancel option next to the transaction then you have to wait the 30 days.

BUT keep an eye on it as if it changes to completed and the seller accepts it then you may have to file a dispute to get your funds back again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ambipur2
Contributor
Contributor

Ah,thank you,that's about as much as I'd worked out,really,Paypal didn't seem to be much help.

I don't even mind if seller wants to take the money, and send the item but I assume he hasn't got the right email adress on his Paypal account or something....I think I'll probably be waiting the 30 days...ah well.Thank you again!

Login to Me Too

schnauzertown
Contributor
Contributor

I understand how you feel. I too have made an ebay purchase and my payment to seller is sitting unclaimed since March 2. I do however have an option to cancel it.

I have sent several emails to the seller over the last 3 days advising of the problem. I have not received any responses.  My concern right now is if the seller has not properly linked an email address to his paypal account, or has an old email address linked to the listing, or changed his email, maybe my messages are not even reaching the seller.

I don't know how long a seller waits for a payment, whether a seller gets an automated message that a payment is waiting, etc. I have no idea what options a seller has to source out any information about payments.  I do know that a seller can file a claim for an unpaid item after 4 days.

Can any sellers out there who have experienced this type of problem comment on this and help us?  If the seller does not fix the ID link problem with paypal, and we do not get responses to our emails, what option is left for the buyer?

Since we, as buyers can not work through the resolution centre or file a dispute because the transaction is incomplete, is the best option to cancel the payment and wait for the seller to file for a resolution or make a claim?

Thanks for any help!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If the payment is unclaimed WITH the cancel option then the seller has made a mistake imputting their paypal email addy that identifies their account on their auction.

So the money won't be claimed UNLESS they can add that email addy to their paypal account. However if its a mis spelt addy then it won't be a valid one.

So you need to cancel the payment and you should get the funds back to your funding source within a few days as yours is unclaimed for a different reason to the other poster. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

schnauzertown
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

If the payment is unclaimed WITH the cancel option then the seller has made a mistake imputting their paypal email addy that identifies their account on their auction.

So the money won't be claimed UNLESS they can add that email addy to their paypal account. However if its a mis spelt addy then it won't be a valid one.

So you need to cancel the payment and you should get the funds back to your funding source within a few days as yours is unclaimed for a different reason to the other poster. 

I canceled the payment and the transaction has been reversed.  Of course, my item is showing as unpaid now. 

Since the seller has not responded to the many emails I sent, I have no idea what to do now.  Should I be patient and hope the seller eventually notices and contacts me? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I would just buy your item elsewhere.

The seller can't file for non payment as you can prove with a transaction id that you tried to pay and it was there fault it failed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

schnauzertown
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

I would just buy your item elsewhere.

The seller can't file for non payment as you can prove with a transaction id that you tried to pay and it was there fault it failed.

Thanks for your advice.  I'm a bit of a worrier who likes to make instant payments.  I've never had a transaction problem, so this is new to me. Thanks again.

Login to Me Too

nierullo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to open a dispute but the paypal system is not letting me, this is the transaction number, 7DX767869P434192U.

I had ordered items but have not recived them nor has the seller responded to my inquiries.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.