credit card information needs to be entered twice

HollyK
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a website designer and one of my customer's sites is configured using WordPress and WooCommerce. He noticed that when his customers try to pay wtih PayPal using a credit card, not a PayPal account, they are asked to submit the information twice.

I confirmed this today by placing an order myself. I have a PayPal account, but on the very first PayPal screen, I clicked on "Pay with debit or credit card" instead. I was taken to a screen titled "PayPal Guest Checkout." I entered my credit card information there. A "processing payment" hourglass appeared. PayPal then took me back to what looked like the first PayPal screen, asking me if I wanted to pay with my PayPal account or a debit or credit card. I had to click on that and re-enter the card information. VERY disconcerting as it appeared I had paid twice. On my customer's end, I only paid once, and had I not re-entered the information a second time, the order would have been stuck in "pending payment" mode on his end.

This seems like a PayPal usability bug to us. Is there any fix in the works?

Does this only happen to existing PayPal customers? That is, I have a PayPal account so when I tested this, there was no way I could test this as a user who doesn't have PayPal.

Thanks for any information.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Haven't heard of any widespread complaints of this nature.  Could be a problem with the integration.  For technical support though, check: https://developer.paypal.com/support/

Coders don't hang out here much.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

HollyK
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, SharpieMarker - will check out that forum.

Login to Me Too

Wolfenfury
Contributor
Contributor

We're having the VERY SAME ISSUE.

After 5 days of waiting, tech support has still not contacted me with an answer.  We cannot launch our site with this issue.  No one in their right mind is going to enter all their credit card information a second time when it appears that it processed it the first time.   

What's worse, a few days ago, this seemed to miraculously fix itself without us doing anything on our end, and today when we went to finally launch our site, it is broken again.  (again, we did nothing on our end)  We have replicated this on multiple computers from multiple locations.

Paypal needs to figure this out  - and in the meantime we are integrating someone else.  If it works out before they fix it, I'm closing our Paypal account.  This is absolutely unacceptable. 

Login to Me Too

HollyK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wolfenfury,

Interesting. I did wind up submitting this as a ticket directly to the PayPal developers and someone got back to me right away saying that they had escalated it and would look into it and address it. That was about 12 days ago. I checked in with them 2 days ago and they replied that they are still looking into it.

This is where I submitted my ticket, with screenshots. You may want to do the same.

https://www.paypal-techsupport.com/

Are you also using WordPress and WooCommerce?

Login to Me Too

Wolfenfury
Contributor
Contributor
No, this is a custom cart. This is taking too long to resolve, and is impeding my business.
Login to Me Too

Wolfenfury
Contributor
Contributor

Still nothing I see...

Login to Me Too

Wolfenfury
Contributor
Contributor

...and STILL NOTHING!   This is the kind of service I've come to expect of PayPal.  

Login to Me Too

HollyK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wolfenfury,

As of yesterday, 10/4/16, I've been told that they are testing the fix before making it live, so we have our fingers crossed that it will be corrected soon. It has been a very long time, though.

Login to Me Too

Wolfenfury
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the update

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.