Can PayPal receipt act as tax document for donation?

cagross
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.  I work for a US non-profit organization and recently implemented a PayPal button on the website to collect donations.  In the past, when we received a donation via check, we would mail a separate hard copy receipt to the donor, which they could use as proof of donation on their taxes (should they choose to write off the donation).  I'm wondering if the PayPal email confirmation they receive can serve as a substitute for this separate receipt, or if we should still send one (via email this time).

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The donor needs a copy of a receipt showing the full name of the company receiving the donation and the the receipt needs to show the tax status of the company receiving the donation.  It needs to comply with U. S. codes.

Login to Me Too

cagross
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.

>> It needs to comply with U. S. codes.

My question is essentially asking if the PayPal confirmation email complies with US codes.  I'm not sure if the email indicates the tax status of our organization.  I'll have to look into that.

Regardless, this confirms that we will generate our own receipts and send them.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.