Where can I find my "Secure Merchant ID"?

lhunath
Contributor
Contributor

For the purpose of creating a subscription button that is not hosted by PayPal, I need to specify either my email address or my "secure merchant ID" as the "business" field of the form.  I've been trying to find this identifier in vein, where on my profile can I find my account's "secure merchant ID"?  What are the properties of this ID?  Under what conditions will it change?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The Merchant Account ID was introduced several years ago as an alternative to using your email address in non-hosted or non-encrypted item button code.  We normally refer to this type of code a "clear text".    Using the Merchant Account ID, prevents net bots from harvesting email addresses.

The ID is composed of about 13 random numbers and letters.  When you open a PayPal Account, this ID is assigned to your account automatically.  It does not change and it's not possible for you to edit it.  If you opened a new account, the system would assign you a new Merchant Account ID.

Assuming you have a Business Account, you would find this ID in your Account Profile under "My business info".  

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

bid-write
Contributor
Contributor

My PayPal / Settings tab gives Personal Info which includes Merchant account ID.

Login to Me Too
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The Merchant Account ID was introduced several years ago as an alternative to using your email address in non-hosted or non-encrypted item button code.  We normally refer to this type of code a "clear text".    Using the Merchant Account ID, prevents net bots from harvesting email addresses.

The ID is composed of about 13 random numbers and letters.  When you open a PayPal Account, this ID is assigned to your account automatically.  It does not change and it's not possible for you to edit it.  If you opened a new account, the system would assign you a new Merchant Account ID.

Assuming you have a Business Account, you would find this ID in your Account Profile under "My business info".  

Login to Me Too

redseujac
New Community Member

@snowshoe wrote:

The question I have: does it exist for a Premium Account? If not, why not? Do the holders of a Premium Account have to let their email addresses vulnerable to harvesting by net bots when placing e.g. Donate buttons on their website?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.