Offer Download Link only after payment is made.

Tim-Ivory
Contributor
Contributor

Hey everyone, I would like to sell a digital products (Sound Banks for synthesizers, and music) and have the download link only available after payment has been made through paypal. I don't want the url to be available to anyone so they can grab the products if they have the url. Does this mean the url is encrypted? Would that make it only availabe to there ip address or time limited?

Also, I would prefer to host the download links myself since they will be quite large. I'm sure there are many options available to do this and would like to hear more about them. I just started the research on this subject so I apologize if I'm not asking the right questions in advance.

I only have a Premier account with paypal for now. Is what I want to accomplish available with this account type? 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Just a note of caution:  there is generally no seller protection for virtual/digital items.  You could check polices for details.

Login to Me Too

Tim-Ivory
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I think that actually works both ways as well, is that right? No seller or buyer protection for digital downloads?

Login to Me Too

Tim-Ivory
Contributor
Contributor

If I want to use the IPN method, would I need a 3rd party app (would it let me host the files -- cheaper?) or, preferably, what code code and what do i need to learn to write the script itself within the site. Any info, tutorials, or sites detailing this would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Tim-Ivory

I don't think it works both ways.  Buyer could claim non-delivery and there would be no delivery record which PayPal uses; buyer likely to win.  PayPal recognizes typical tracking services for delivery confirmatin.

Informatrion should be available by searching PayPal help.

Login to Me Too

alan_sd
Contributor
Contributor

True, but I've been doing this myself for a couple years, and chargebacks amount to less than 1%. Ive had much more trouble with ebay users than paypal users.

Login to Me Too

alan_sd
Contributor
Contributor

I've been doing tihs on my site: http://hcidesign.com

Buyers get an email wiht a unique download URL after payment clears. URL works for anybody they share it with, but I've had very little problem with that. The process requires my own custom PHP code hosted on pair.com (any good webhost would do, though), and is triggered by paypal IPNs. The biggest issue is that some customers don't get the download link because it gets marked as spam.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.