Multiple skipped payments

AdminJay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I keep receiving notices from paypal that Payments from my subscribers are being skipped. This is accounting for roughly 40% of my total subscriber base so far. I run a sub. based website for financial data and tools, all the subscribers are stock traders. I have a hard time believing that 40% of them are unable to pay $25 on their CC's. Perhaps, but thats a higher deliquency rate than I've ever seen in retail, and most of these people are professionals, so...

I have contacted Paypal several times but they claim there is nothing wrong with their payment processing, the CC's are coming back as denied. 

Is there anything else I can do before I need to find a new payment gateway/ I cannot run a business without a reliable payment gateway of course, and though personally I have never had an issue making payments though Paypal, receiving them seems to be another story.

Thanks and regards, Jay

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If the credit cards are denied then there is likely a problem with the person paying, not with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

AdminJay
Contributor
Contributor

At night, when I am in that calm state between sleep and wakefulness, when I am at peace with the world, I often dream of posting something on a forum and not having the very 1st reply be the most simpleton and obvious, unthoughtful answer possible. Then I snap to and realise it will never happen, lol. 

I have verified with a number of the users that their accounts are in good standing, their credit card info is up to date and everything should have gone through. Due to the incredibly high # of occurrences, I have a hard time believing Paypal's claim that all cards were denied. 40-50% ? That would be a retail record in my experience. 

Thanks anyway for your reply

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why would you not believe PayPal?

PayPal sytem is not a retail shopping experience and has different security procedures than a retail store.  PayPal members and PayPal buyers don't have the same relationship as buyers have with retail establishments.

In the case of PayPal, it is essentially the merchant account with the credit card companies; the PayPal member is only using the services of PayPal to pass the credit card purchase through to the credit card company/bank.  PayPal, therefore,will have different security procedures than if you had your own merchant account such as with FirstData; in that case you, as the merchant would work directly with the credit card processors.

As for declines, when it happens when I make a purchase I call my credit card company who can give me the reason it was declined.  Without knowing details about users and transactions all one can assume is that PayPal has the most current information.

Login to Me Too

AdminJay
Contributor
Contributor

because in 2 of the cases I have seen their correspondence with Paypal which differs significantly from what Paypal has told me. 

Login to Me Too

AdminJay
Contributor
Contributor

And now this. Houston we have a problem !

Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Support. My name is Rauf and I will be assisting you with your inquiry.

As I understand it, most of your customer recurring payment that is through their credit card is being denied and you would like to know why. Please let me know if this is not correct.

Ian, I managed to replicate the issue at our end and we are working with our developers to get this fixed as soon as possible.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will email you as soon as the issue is fixed.  Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely
Rauf
Merchant Technical Support
PayPal
Login to Me Too

lesleyaustin
Contributor
Contributor

Wondering if/how this was resolved?

All five of today's monthly recurring payments today didn't go through and I received the usual notification. But I am sure it is a Paypal issue.

A day without Paypal issues is a rare but happy day.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.