Mastercard Not Working

pcg123
Contributor
Contributor

I just got a message from PayPal Support confirming that they have an internal "issue" with Mastercard not working for recurring payments (it doesn't even show up in the drop-down menu)!!

Now I'm getting complaints from customers that their Mastercards are being rejected even in the Buy Now areas!

SO BASICALLY IT LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN'T USE MASTERCARD ON PAYPAL RIGHT NOW, PERIOD -- and they are saying that they are "working on the problem."

Other merchants ought to check to see if they also are losing customers this way without even knowing why (because they can't use a main credit card -- Mastercard).  I know for sure it's been like this for the past 2 days and judging from all the "abandoned" customers I've seen (who start the PayPal process, then stop before completion), it looks like it may have been going on for a week or more before now!!!!

Maybe if more people complained, the "issue" would be solved sooner!!

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

siavm
New Community Member

I am having this problem with some of the things I am buying or try to buy. Some go through others say I need to talk to my card company. I hope they get this solved soon. 

Login to Me Too

pcg123
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, an update:  As of this morning (Monday), the Mastercard option is now again showing in the recurring payments drop-down menu.  So I'm assuming Mastercard is working again for all payments.

Login to Me Too

mserinpa
Contributor
Contributor

I can't check out and pay! PayPal pulled my MasterCard on file, said "too many verification requests".  WTF?  Called PayPal, went through the menu, placed on hold for about an hour and call was dropped.  Called back on land line, when I got through to a human, I was told the problem was with my card.  I called MasterCard who said no problem on their end that, they had approved transactions!  Called ebay, "Jess" or something that sounded like that, took down info, said she would file w/tech support and I should hear in about 24 -48 hours.  Not holding my breath.  Did I mention one seller wanting to cancel a transaction and another opened a unpaid case claim?  I've tried re-adding my card to PayPal and they keep removing it.  Anybody want to join me in starting a Hate PayPal page on Facebook?

Login to Me Too

ChrisitieS
New Community Member

I have had 2 people in the past 3 days try to pay an invoice and when they called Paypal told them I don't accept Mastercard!?!?  What?!?!  I don't think I even get the option. 

Login to Me Too

Alaska-User
New Community Member

My customers are getting a similar message......."This card cannot be accepted for this payment".  I have received a few calls and they are all people with Mastercards. 

Has anyone found anything out about this?

Login to Me Too

pcg123
Contributor
Contributor

No.  After leaving the original message in this thread, I actually stopped doing the recurring payments altogether through PayPal and switched my customers over to my other merchant credit card processor (and started keeping track of the recurring payments manually) because I couldn't keep taking the chance I was losing MC customers daily.

I still use PayPal for the Buy Now payments, so I have no way of knowing if MC customers are going through or not, but I did notice a big uptick in recurring customers (2/3 of them MC users) when I switched to my other processor.

Are others having complaints from Buy Now customers that their MC cards are being rejected?  And if so, have you gotten any word back from PayPal about the problem?  I'd really like to know if I'm still losing MC customers...

Seems like a problem PayPal should be right on top of if it's this bad a problem...

Login to Me Too

mserinpa
Contributor
Contributor

Thank  you for that update.  I took the liberty of sending that info to every seller I've had contact with since early June!  I'm spreading the word!  If everyone would tell at least one person, buyer or seller . . .

Login to Me Too

updesigns
Contributor
Contributor
I'm wondering if this is creating an issue with the PayPal debit cards... I paid for something through PayPal a couple days ago, WITH my PayPal issued debit card that has the Master Card logo on it... and the funds have been on hold for "Pending" and I was sent an e-mail telling me my card didn't go through.... I'm at a loss here.
Login to Me Too

pcg123
Contributor
Contributor

No, my customers problems stemmed from ANY Mastercards. 

But I seem to remember reading, while I was researching and Googling this issue, that PayPal also won't let you use a PayPal debit card, and/or any card that is already registered with PayPal, as payment in a transaction.  Not positive about details of that, try Googling "PayPal debit card not working" etc.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.