Paypal in Bricks and Mortar Store

catherineyronwo
Contributor
Contributor

I operate a small business that is both bricks-and-mortaer and online. Several years ago, my store's paypal account was suspended (and my funds held for three months!) because i sell ceremonial tobacco for religious purposes. I was not selling on ebay at the time, just at a web site and in the store. Tobacco products (incense, anointing oil, candle dressed with tobacco, etc.) 7 items out of 5,000 items in stock, and only one of the 7 (Tobacco curio) is even smokable. I stopped using Paypal rather than stop carrying these 7 spiritual supplies. 

In the years since that costly debacle, i have since seen many other shops -- even at ebay -- that have carried religious tobacco, and i have read here that Paypal now only forbids merchants who sell tobacco illegally (i do not). 

I would like to return as a Paypal merchant, both for in-store and web-based sales, but i do not want to sign up for a Paypal bricks-and-mortar sales account and go to all the trouble of setting up linkages, buttons, images, etc., only to have my account suspended and my funds frozen for three months again.

What is Paypal's official stance on bricks-and-mortar shops that sell tobacco legally?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Catherineyronwo,

Welcome! 🙂

This is a member to member help community so I recommend contacting the team that makes those decisions directly for the best response.  I'm not an expert when it comes to how businesses are reviewed for our Acceptable Use Policy but I do know that they are happy to review businesses ahead of time and provide guidance.

Their email address can be found on this page in the Contact Information section:

PayPal Acceptable Use Policy

I hope this helps!

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.