Is Paypal fee still 3.4%?

Ashtrek
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed that Ebay sales sum net amount on Paypal is higher than 3.4% + 0.20 GBP or + 0.35 USD.

Can anyone explain how Paypal fee is calculated according real life samples below of August 11, 2016:

Shipping0,00 GBP
Tax0,00 GBP
Purchase total21,10 GBP
Fee-negative 1,30 GBP
Total19,80 GBP

or

Shipping15,00 USD
Tax0,00 USD
Purchase total53,00 USD
Fee-negative 3,06 USD
Total49,94 USD

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It varies by country and where your buyer is,what credit card he is using?

In USA,domestic payment is 3o cents plus 2.9%

overseas credit card is 3.9 %

Login to Me Too

Ashtrek
Contributor
Contributor

Hello?

Does it makes any sense if seller pays fees for buyer being in whatever country?

Seller receiving money must have fixed fee rate.

How can seller know where and how buyer pays?

Is there any Paypal information available except standard fee 3.4%?

Sample buyer's were both in Brazil.

About paymwent method I don't have any info.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

you should find your answer on Paypal.

In USA,we pay 30 cents plus 2.9 for dometisc order and 30 cents plus 3.9 for overseas transaction.

ifyou dont like what they charge,they use some other payment processor,Amazon one click is like 12-15% 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

It's kinda based on both where the seller and the buyer located. Here is the chart for fees:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/cross-border-and-conversion-fees

Because, I take it that you are in the UK, Brazil, is 4.9% + fixed fee.  

Of course for simplicity it's sensible to have one rate for anywhere, but that is how the fees are set up where you're located. Unlike in the US, the cross border fees are simply one rate anywhere, 3.9% + fixed rate.

The rates range from 3.8 to 4.9%. So, there are sellers who just up their item prices 5% to cover all bases.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

About paymwent method I don't have any info.

---------------

It does not matter what payment method your buyer is using ,whether it is Paypal fund,bank or credit card,if it is a Paypal payment,Paypal sets the fee.

We dont get a break because the buyer uses his bank fund or Paypal fund. 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The discount rate varies from country to country.

In USA,many of us use the credit cards,there is economy of scale when it comes to processing credit card transactions.

In some countries the rates are higher the fee and processing cost is higher ,could be regulations,could be less people using it.

In Japanese restaurants in Japan,I have seen sign which said to use your credit card,you must purchase at least 1000 yens for lunch and 5000 yens for dinner.

In Hong Kong,store mechants cringed when you pull out a credit card,so their rate must be high.

In USA,small merchants would encourage you not to use your credit card by offering a small cash discount.

you just have to mark up your item to absorb the  fee  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.