HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

I3ongwat3r
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@CraigsList wrote:

Do you really read every detail of all of the "user agreements" and "terms and conditions" of everything you encounter in your life?  That is not even possible nor expected.  If you do, you have nothing else going on in your life because there is not that kind of time in a normal life.   There is a law that protects the general public from unscroupulous clauses in winded Terms & Conditions policies for just that reason.

I suppose you all ready know about that though if you have time to read the long fine print of everything.

If I am adding personal information like my full name, address, social security number, banking information and transferring funds then yes YES I am going to read the user agreement.

Now I sign up for an online game or a facebook account without any relevant personal information then perhaps not.

Anyplace where your money is at risk you should know the rules and what is expected of you and what can happen.

Besides we ALL signed a contract, clicked a button that said you read those terms of service regardless of if you did or not.

Login to Me Too

trip13
Contributor
Contributor

this makes no sense.

I sent some money to my brother via paypal, he ended up not needing it- so he sent it back to me via the refund button.

now I have some sort of temporary hold.  the payment was sent as a gift.

this makes no sense.  i'm going to be **bleep** if they hold it for 21 days.  i've used paypal since 1999 and it'll end in 2011 if there's a hold on this past midnight.

Login to Me Too

trip13
Contributor
Contributor

this has absolutely ZERO to do with ebay.  this makes no sense.

Login to Me Too

PatrickJoy
Contributor
Contributor

Believe me, I'm angry as **bleep** about it, check the other thread on it as well.  PayPal has gone too far, and a lot of other people are angry about it as well. Call them up and complain, make some noise.

Login to Me Too

Robk
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email today saying that all my payments will be held for 21 days. Im already dealing with 15% overhead for ebay and paypal fees, and now I find out I have to wait 21 days for my money? Thats just not fair. I read the email and I understand that the intent is to protect buyers from predatory sellers. I also read the list of things they look at when they consider doing this to a person. I am not all together against this practice as a reformatory tool for sellers who have had issues with buyers. However, I am completely appaulled that paypal would paint with such a broad brush and do this preemptively. I've never even had a dispute, much less an unresolved one. It is unfair.

My question is one that was not answered by the email. What interest will paypal be earning on the money during the 21 days they hold it? Also, what portion of that interest will be paid to the seller. Presumably, all interest gained over the 21 days should be paid to the seller whos money created that interest. This information was conspicuously absent from the email.

Text of the email is pasted below:

We're writing to let you know about a change to your PayPal account.
Starting 9/17/2011, money from payments you receive will be placed in a pending balance for up to 21 days. By doing this, we're making sure that there's enough money in your account to cover potential refunds or claims.
Even though you can't access the money right away, please ship orders quickly and communicate with your customers. After 21 days, you can withdraw money from each payment as long as the customer hasn't filed a dispute, chargeback, claim, return, or reversal.
The money may be available sooner if:
We can confirm that the item was delivered.
Your buyer leaves positive feedback. (Applies only to eBay items)
This change isn't necessarily permanent. We'll review your account every 35 days and re-evaluate if we should continue to hold your payments. If we decide to stop holding payments, we'll email you to let you know.
Why are my payments being held?
We reviewed your account and determined that there's a relatively higher than average risk of future transaction issues (such as claims, or chargebacks, or payment reversals). We understand that it may be inconvenient to have your payments temporarily held but please know that we didn't make this decision lightly.
Before deciding to hold payments, we consider many factors. These factors include account and transaction activity, the rate of customer disputes, the type of business a seller runs, average delivery timeframes, customer satisfaction, performance and history.
Questions? Let us know
We understand you’d like to have immediate access to the money you receive and we’re here to answer your questions about this change to your account.
For more information and tips on what you can do to avoid having your future payments held, please see our Frequently Asked Questions. To speak to a Customer Service representative, log in to your PayPal account and click “Contact Us” at the bottom of any page.
Thanks,
PayPal

Login to Me Too

Mario_S

I have now read a number of posts regarding the 21 day hold.  Like me these were from sellers who have NO negative feedbacks.  I'm assuming that like me, they just haven't hit the 25 fark in the past year.

I find this to be an extraordinarily unfai tactic on Paypal's part.  I try to get buyers to leave feedback, but so many don't bother.  I only know that if Paypal looks they will see that all shipments have been made within a day or two of the sale and that all the feedback I have received is highly complimentary, my DSR are virtually perfect, and my account has been this way for 4 1/2 years.  It strikes me as so totally disrespectful of a good, albeit small (and therefore meaningless to a giant outfit like Paypal) customer.  My only resonse is to give up the convenience and find alternative payment methods.

I only hope that enough other customers will do so and let them know how stunningly arrogant, imperious and foolhardy this move was.

Login to Me Too

jcarlilesiu
New Community Member

I just sold something on ebay, completed the auction to the limit, collected payment via paypal, shipped the item with tracking entered, verified delievery and.... waiting....

What kind of absolute non-sense is this?  What gives paypal and ebay the right to manipulate transactions like this?  Do you think a retailer at the mall would agree to having all customers pay to the mall, and if the mall feels that the customer is statisfied, and only then will it give the money for the goods to the retailer?

So Paypal and Ebay.  Who is collecting the thousands and thousands of dollars in interest on the funds you are sitting on?  Talk about a conflict of interests.  

The really stupid part is, if Paypal determines that there was fraud or that a seller should have the payment revoked, they can do that.  Balance in the account has no bearing.  They can retract the payment at which time the account will go negative causing the seller even more grief.  This is how credit card companies hand disputes.

As a seller with no negative feedback, this seems to me like the better alternative if you are really trying to look out for scamming sellers rather than painting the entire selling community with a broad brush.  

Login to Me Too

jayeb2
Contributor
Contributor

This is the most rediculas thing I have ever dealt with.  Been a paypal user for over 6 years and all of the sudden they have placed a hold on one transaction out of many that are not being held.  I was told that it is completely random.  How is this protecting buyers?

Login to Me Too

Fedorys
New Community Member

This is one of those things that "Big Brother" does and the little guy feels helpless. I keep $500 in my PP account, have over 100 feedbacks with 100% satisfaction. I always ship the next day and have been doing this for 9 years. I called the number and a very nice lady could't tell me why. Let's face it... they got us and there's nothing we can do about it. I'm now pulling all of my money out of PP and going off of Ebay until I cool off.

Login to Me Too

toby68
New Community Member

This policy is nothing short of CRIMINAL. I have been a member in good standing of PayPal for over ten years. Because PayPal doesn't allow enough time for to account for customs delays international buyers have discovered that they can get refund and also receive their item free.  Therefore, PayPal has started playing this game with me.   If you add up all the members who they do this to you can see that it amounts to an interest free loan to PayPal of millions of dollars.  There lies the real insensitive for PayPal to hold your funds.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.