HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

Jcw77
Contributor
Contributor

I was just advised that PayPal will withholf my funds for 21 days, during which they will use my funds for their own purposes. Since I am a 100% positive feedback eBay user, this smacks of pure greed. So I have made the following change to the only item I am currently selling. Too bad for PayPal.

This is my personal camera for video and still shots. It works perfectly. I am including two battery chargers and two batteries (One of them is brand new) USB cable for downloading pictures to your computer, wrist strap and original users guide. Specifications for the camera may be found on the Canon site under SD 500. I am selling it because I have just been given a newer version of the same camera! Feel free to ask questions. I WOULD PREFER THAT YOU NOT USE PAYPAL BECAUSE OF A POLICY THEY ARE INSTITUTING UNDER WHICH PAYPAL WILL KEEP FUNDS FOR THEIR OWN USE FOR 21 DAYS BEFORE CREDITING IT TO THE SELLER'S ACCOUNT. USE PAYPAL IF YOU MUST. OTHERWISE SEND ME A CHECK AND I'LL RUN THE RISK. I WILL MAIL THE CAMERA AS SOON AS I RECEIVE YOUR CHECK. SORRY AND THANKS.  JAY

Login to Me Too

combatninja99zu
Contributor
Contributor

I sold 200 dollars worth of items on ebay, and paypal wont give me my money. It has been 3 days since they have left positive feedback. shouldnt i have access to my money once the buyer has left positive feedback, indicating they have received it?? Please help! I really need that cash!

Login to Me Too

Anadog

They're doing it to us too.  Been with PayPal for years.  No disputes, no negative anything.

When you try to get an answer to the obvious quesiton of 'why' you end up speaking with people on the phone that you can't understand and when you think you almost understand them they have no answer to your question.  It's just the way it is.  Because they can?  Who knows.

I'm currently researching all options to PayPal.  Google Checkout looks pretty good.  Intuit is offering some alternative is so is Amazon.  If they hadn't put a hold on my funds availablity I never would have looked elsewhere.

It would appear that they don't need our business.

Login to Me Too

Anadog

Any suggestions to finding alternate merchant services for my web site would be appreciated.  I've been a PayPal user for years and use their shopping cart buttons on my web site for wholesale sales.  The new policy of an unwarranted 21 day hold on payments made to my company for work sold won't work for my business. 

If anyone knows of a merchant services provider that would be a good alternative, please let us know.

So far we're looking at Google Checkout and Amazon's payment services.  Intuit has some merchant services that could work.

We really liked the usability of PayPal's shopping cart buttons and we wouldn't have looked for an alternative.  But we're getting nowhere when we try to call to get this issue worked out.  So we're forced to look to other companies. 

If you're using a company (maybe a smaller one that hasn't gained a lot of exposure yet but gives quality service?)  please post and let us know.  A Google search isn't showing us a lot of other alternatives, but there has to be more out there.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

MerchSvcAZ
Contributor
Contributor

I work in the industry and I'm not your typical merchant service sales guy.  I am focused on building relationships and customer service and do a lot of free consulting.  I tell you this prior to answering your question because there are many solutions that exist out there, and many people will just throw numbers out to you, but it really depends on several items as to what is the best solution for your particular need.  You need to find someone you can trust and not just someone that will push whatever it is they sell.  Part of the whole process is to find a solution that fits your business, integrates easily, and sets you up for the future.  Find a person you can trust and that will listen to understand your business in order to avoid another 21 day hold on your account.  I have been in this industry since 1993 so I have a lot of experience and horror stories from other businesses.  Feel free to contact me if you would like.

Login to Me Too

Warmachine_11
Contributor
Contributor
I no longer use eBay and I use PayPal only in the most dire of circumstances. I went to Webstore. Here is my standard answer to people fed up with PayPal. Hope it helps.

First file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, it only takes a few minutes.

Next do the same with the BBB.

Lastly and most importantly, go to 'WEBSTORE' and do your business there, no fees, no holds and no bullcrap. You can use Google Checkout and drop PayPal.

You can also go to 'Yola' and open a free website and post all these complaints for the world to see. I am building several websites as we speak to get the word out.

Keep an eye out for anyone starting a class action lawsuit over this policy and JOIN IT.

Login to Me Too

dos
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using eBay and PayPal since 2002, I have absolutely perfect feedback. I just sold a few items to have money for the holidays, the wonderful buyers paid instantly but I got slapped with holds. When I called they told me I'm not a high volume enough seller to warrant an exemption to these holds. They acknowledged that all my feedback and ratings were perfect and that it all comes down to how much buisness I do. I refunded the buyers and made them aware that they couldn't get what they were looking for because of an eBay/PayPal policy. I think sending expensive and rare items out without having the cash in hand is insanity and refuse to do it.

PayPal would be glad to see me and other small sellers go because we cut into the huge volume guys selling Chinese junk, and those guys are where the money is for eBay and PayPal. Nothing would make them happier than having one less distraction from these high volume sellers. It almost seems as if they make it inconvenient to be a low volume seller on purpose. Why do you think they even let threads like this thrive on their own boards? It's like a giant flashing sign: DON'T EVEN BOTHER TRYING TO SELL ON EBAY, IT'S A TOTAL DRAG. CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME.

The best thing you can do is encourage people to not shop on eBay. Let it become nothing but a clearing house for garbage made in sweat shops, and make sure that's the public's perception of it.

Login to Me Too

David05
Contributor
Contributor

I agree totally i made my first sale and got my money in 2 days and today i find out i have to wait 21 days  for my money the only reason i sold the item was to be able to buy my wife a christmas gift and now i can't. I'm a disabled guy with a very low income and this is just a terrible thing to do to someone who really did have a purpose for using ebay to make a small amout of money to try and have some kind of a christmas . I have no other way to make any money before christmas now and won't be able to buy my wife a thing i feel like crying it so wrong, when i know she sold something of hers to be able to get me a gift and now i have nothing for her I'M JUST SICK ! ! . any suggestions on how i could speed the up before xmas?                                                                                                                                                               David   

Login to Me Too

whyte66angels
Contributor
Contributor

yes refund the person thier money & stop selling in Ebay. They can hold your funds for up to 180 days on every sale. There are better sites to list on & much cheaper fee's & NO 21 day hold. Read some of these posts & you will see noone who has commented on these post have gotten there money any faster or at all. It has put alot of people in the poor house. Try ebid.net

Login to Me Too

David05
Contributor
Contributor

i can't refund him the item was shipped already so i guess i'm just **bleep**ed huh ? Merry Christmas to all you RICH Ebay and Paypal employees think about me while you open your gifts and i have none because you held my money that was to be used to buy my wifes gift, I shoulda just pawnec the **bleep** thing i guess at least i'd have a gift for my wife .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.