HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

ebbill
Contributor
Contributor

This practice, while unethical, uncaring, and down right mean, is legal because it is written in detail in PayPal's terms and condition.  As a PayPal user, you agree to these terms and conditions each time you use PayPal to send or receive money.  And since PayPal is not a financial institution but a electronic service available only on the Internet, there are no laws in place to govern this kind of activity.  The attorney generals of all the states are well aware of PayPal's practices because this has been going on for some time now and these offices cannot find a way to pursue and bring a case against PayPal or eBay.  So the practice will continue until PayPal or eBay has woke up and smelled the coffee.  But until then, they will continue to rape their users and get as much money as then can while the getting is good.  This is a company for profit and they owe it to their shareholders to make as much profit as possible and, since they are now use to the gravy, the gluttony will continue. 

The only way to stop PayPal and eBay is to stop using their services and send a message to them that you are not going to put up with it anymore. But as long as there are users that continue to patronize these sleazy, shady businesses, nothing will be done.  Even the U.S. Attorney General doesn't know what to do about this problem.  Maybe he is one of the shareholders? 

We were taught in our ethics class I recently attended that the personality and culture of an organization is demonstrated through how they treat the community and their customers.  The people who operate PayPal and eBay know the difference between right and wrong.  SO as long as they continue to knowingly abuse their customers, they are some really questionable characters with no ethics whatsoever.  Do you really want to do business with an organization that treats its customers this way?  As long as you use their services and agree to those terms and conditions each time you have a PayPal transaction, you are saying that it is okay for them to bend you over and, well you know the rest.

I have moved all of my inventory over to Bonanza.com but have only made 6 sales in the past 8 months because Bonanza does not receive the traffic that eBay does..  Bonanza will allow its users to use other forms of payment from your customers like money orders and Google check out but they also accept PayPal payments and those 6 sales transactions have all chose to send the payment through PayPal.  The only way to boycott PayPal is to refuse payments from them.  And since eBay will only accept PayPal payments, you will need to boycott eBay as well.  Its the only way to get this madness to cease and desist. 

It is all up to you whether or not they continue to do business in this fashion.  You have to send a message to them where it really hurts.  Gotta go, Dancing with the Stars is on.  Good luck everyone in your decision.  i hope you make the right choice that best suits your needs.

Login to Me Too

blueberryandcow
Contributor
Contributor

The reason they placed a hold on my account is because I wasn't selling enough. They basically said I needed to sell more to established myself as a creditable seller, even though I have sold over 50 items with ZERO buyer disputes.

What an idiotic, moronic idea that by holding my money for 21 days, I will be enticed to sell more. Seriously, what business school did you guys fail out of? 

Amazon has much lower fees, does not double dip (ebay fees then paypal fees even though they are owned by the same compnay), does not charge me 0.30 for a refund, and they do NOT hold my money. I can transfer it to my bank account anytime, any amount. Paypal limits me to 500 per month.

Sorry ebay and paypal, but your moronic management team is forcing me to go to Amazon.

P.S. - I am now accepting apologies for the stupidity you guys call your business model.

Login to Me Too

el1646
New Community Member

How sad...unemployed in this nation is now approaching 16 million! I am willing to bet there are millions on eBay across the country that put food on the table through what few items they can scrounge from items found in the attic., and yard sales ! And now, that family will have to follow EVERY rule, EVERY protocol, not UPSET the APPLE cart, and WAIT 21 DAYS to what, eat???

Then there's folks like us...We only sold a few things a month. Rating of 72 at 100%..ebay for over 6 years..NO DISPUTES- EVER!

Apparantly, the flip-side is that there is not enough activity ???  How exactly are we as customers, sellers alike supposed to do anything when FUNDS are TIED UP FOR 3 STINKIN WEEKS!?

Good thing we're not making a living at this! I can't imagine having seller fees higher than $45.00 a month!

NOW I have to pay over $ 50.00 in shipping out-of-pocket, because I have no way to bring those funds home until sometime in November!

This used to be fun, and a way to find cool stuff we had as kids on the cheap!

NO LONGER !  DID YOU Consider test-marketing this clap-trap first?

That's what I thought!

We have a few things listed right now, and I am afraid we will have to close our account when those are sold if this is not ammended at PayPal.

BTW- I was in retail for 25 years, management for 12 years, and frankly, I would have been FIRED for DOING ANYTHING THAT INTERFERED WITH EASE OF COMMERCE in workplace!

Login to Me Too

makdknife1
Contributor
Contributor

Lawd, I hear ya!  It's weird, its cruel.  Are these companies owned by Americans (of which I am one)?  You know...I believe in capitalism, but I don't believe in destroying people with it.  These heartless folks apparently don't even care about the person trying to make ends meet through eBay/PayPal.  They just don't care.  They're like cold robot whores who'll do anything to anybody for, literally, pennies.  They must hate their parents and loath their own families.  They're cold, dumb (like I've said, their way of doing business always turns out to be self destructive...), fish.

Login to Me Too

makdknife1
Contributor
Contributor

Someone will find a legal loophole that will jam them up, but in the meantime...you mentioned Bonanza.com.  I would like to put up an eBay ad.  In that ad I would like to advertise the alternative to both eBay and PayPal and sell it for a penny and transmit it electronically to those interested.

This is so frustrating, but I'm totally willing to go banzai at the risk of my membership to eBay/PayPal.  Perfectly willing.  I'll do a search to see if I can find the equivalents for both services and if you can supply some other companies, it would be greatly appreciated.

eBay and PayPal.  They are good examples of what is wrong...what happened to the U.S. economy.  Creed always leads to self destruction.  Reminds me of replacing people with robots.  The company initially makes out, but when all the other companies follow suite they actually wonder why business is bad?  Of course its because they put all of their potential customer base in the' soup lines' in the name of creed.

I have a set amount of merchandise to get sell, then I'm out.  I'll to my purchasing through Amazon.  Again, though, I do want to do great financial harm to eBay/PayPal before its over.  Again, any companies you can give me would be appreciated.  I will make an eBay ad promoting them  ('hear that, eBay/PayPal?...lol).

I predict the Soap Box military veteran is going to win DWTS.

Login to Me Too

hbogdon
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you the only way to get to ebay and paypal is where it hurts and that is to take business away from them. I have one more item I'm waiting to go off hold then I am transferring my money to my bank account and then closing down my ebay and paypal account. I will never do business with them again. When I first started in 2005 it was a fun way to make extra money. Now all it is is nothing but stress. So I'm out. I did file a claim with my attorney generals office to waiting to hear back from them. Give them time they will shoot themselves in the foot. I'm going to Amazon and there the only one I will buy from. They are a great company who looks out for the seller not only the buyer. Ebay and paypal does not realize that without sellers they will not have any business. And we have to keep getting the word out so we can get as many people as possible to leave this company who is so unethical.

Login to Me Too

makdknife1
Contributor
Contributor

They aren't very bright, that's for sure.  It's what happens a lot of times when companies get too big for their britches.  They start hiring upper management that's basically rich and stupid (it's called nepotism) to begin with and all they see is into the next 24 hours as far as profit goes, clueless to the repercussions down the line...   eBay/PayPal got rid of all the good people once it went into maintenance mode then they brought in the sharks.

They apparently found a holding institution that will pay them interest on our money for those 21 days not knowing it would be the 'last straw' for many people.  Can you imagine how much money is being held????  Billions.

I don't believe its healthy to hate individuals but the institutions...I gotta say I hate eBay/PayPal like the devil himself and the sooner I get away from 'it' the better off I will be.  Not good for the health to hold this much hatred of anything.

I will not resign from eBay/PayPal...but I will be kicked out...

Login to Me Too

LJZNY
Contributor
Contributor

I hate to say it but Ebay has gotten too big and paypal forgot where they came from...It's from all the people who ever sold anything on EBAY and paypal and used their services...but it seems to be the same as the government...they see a few getting rich (that would NOT be me) and so they want to zoom in and find a way to get a piece of the action...it's sad...CRAIGSLIST...:(

Login to Me Too

LJZNY
Contributor
Contributor

Why do they think we're selling our stuff anyway?? It's because we need the cash and now we really need the cash!

Login to Me Too

hbogdon
Contributor
Contributor

report them to your attorney generals office, and close your ebay and your paypal account down, that is the only way we are going to hurt them in the pocket. and go to amazon or craigs list.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.