HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

LazerTurkey
Contributor
Contributor

Mrs5pennies,

That is a fantastic letter. I hope you get a response. I start to worry about whether we have a leg to stand on when I hear people ranting and raving about some political up-rising... your letter is a breath of fresh air and gives me hope that we will get our rights back from PayPal.

I loved your analogy to other businesses. I've been saying that all along. I cannot think of a single retail agent where you can collect goods, get some time to think it over, then allow the seller to get paid.

Dear buyers ... I'm very sorry some people have been taken by bad sellers. They give us all a bad name. However, PayPal has had a method for you to get your money back for years, it's called filing a dispute. If PayPal finds in your favor, you will get your refund. That money is taken from the seller's account. If they don't have PayPal funds in the account it can be transferred out of their attached bank account (though I don't know if the seller needs to grant permission to do this or not) and if that fails, you will get your money back the second ANY funds hit the seller's account from a future sale. I've have friends that were scammed in serious ways for lots of money. The seller thought they had gotten away with it, until 6 months later when they used their PayPal account again and my friends got their refunds. This is an extreme case, of course. Also, if someone sells you something and does not deliver, running off with your money, you can deal with it through the Postal Service because this is a form of mail fraud. (I'm unsure how the process works, I only read about it on a LiveJournal community I moderate that operates as a forum for selling collectible perfumes). You have a lot of options to get your money when things go wrong. Under PayPal's new rules we have no options to get our money in a timely manner. Reading over people's posts it looks like the fastest anyone has gotten their payments is a week's time (allowing for shipping then PayPal's sweet time releasing the funds 3 days after confirmed delivery). Please try to see it from the honest seller's point of view. We are selling things because we need/want the money for the items. Not only that, but most of us NEED the shipping fees so we can deliver your items to you. Being asked to front the cost of shipping, insurance, delivery confirmation, and any other additional services is unfair and wholey unreasonable.

Login to Me Too

DIANN
Contributor
Contributor

HI,I HOPE YOU TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE REPLY I JUST TYPED TO ANOTHER MEMBER.  THE RESOLUTION CENTER IS JUST GOOD ON HARD COPY.  THEY REALLY DON'T DO ANYTHING.  NOTHING HAPPENED FOR ME THE BUYER UNTIL I TOLD THEM I WOULD CALL THE BANK & SUBMIT A COLLECTION FOR THAT AMOUNT FROM PAYPALS ACCOUNT.  ONCE THEY AGREED TO COLLECT & DISTRIBUTE THE PAYMENTS THEY LEGALLY BECOME AN AGENT OF THE SELLER & BUYER.  THEY TAKE ON THE LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE STAND TO REMIT OR COLLECT WHAT EVER MONIES ARE DUE.

Login to Me Too

DIANN
Contributor
Contributor

DIANN
Contributor
Contributor

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU WROTE.  I HAVE FRIENDS WHO ALSO AGREE WITH YOU.  WE ARE ALL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM:  NONE OF US KNOW HOW WE COULD ORGANIZE ENOUGH PEOPLE THAT WOULD ACTULLY BE LARGE ENOUGH TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

I SO BELIEVE THAT THE RICH & THE GOVERNMENT ARE IN THIS TOGETHER.  THEY WILL KEEP SMASHING US DOWN BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO FIGHT THEM.

Login to Me Too

LazerTurkey
Contributor
Contributor

Just because I'm here talking about my problems as a seller doesn't mean that I'm not a BUYER as well. I do not sell things I've bought wholesale, I sell items from my own collections (items I'd originally purchased on eBay) that I no longer want or am forced to sell to pay bills. I have spent more money on things from eBay over the last 10+ years than I would ever care to admit. I've had my share of bad sellers. People overseas who never sent the item, items that arrived damaged due to poor packaging, I've been shipped empty boxes, I've bought things that were no where close to the condition presented in the auction ... these are just off the top of my head. And every single one of these problems were SOLVED through PayPal's existing claim system. I've gotten full refunds, partial refunds, product replacement ... the system works.

Diann - I have no idea how or why it took you so long to find a phone number to reach PayPal on the phone. I also can't make any sense out of the situation you're explaining. I will say this, though: Your inability to contact PayPal in a timely manner and their poor customer service over the phone is not a valid reason to punish sellers by holding their money.

Login to Me Too

Qwelldrin765
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, as much as I enjoy being on the forum to vent my frustration at PayPal this is an international forum and the US is not the only country effected by this decision so please keep an open debate and by all means get people to contact the President or congress members if you like but he US is not the be all end all of PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely agree with you! And how about this: I sell products for a disribution company where I live in the Northeast coast, and the warehouse of the company I sell for is in the Southeast. Because of the 21-day hold, I had to use my own money pay for not the shipping & handling BUT THE ITEM ITSELF!! Then I had to obtain the tracking number and send it to the customer so that they could confirm when the item was delivered, so they could inform PayPal , so that could release the hold! Now, you tell me: what kind of back-**bleep**-ward nonsense is that??? Things used to be so smooth!

Login to Me Too

madjen
Contributor
Contributor

LazerTurkey, Yes this exact scenerio happened to me. I had been

selling for a long time,100% feedback, lots of feedback points, no

disputes then WHAMMY out of nowhere the week before Christmas,

they put my money on hold. I did what everyone else did,called &

yelled,found this place to see if others were affected. So I had

to close my store, removed my listings, have not listed anything

since and a few weeks ago I get a message from paypal saying

they are lifting my hold due to consistently good service. So I am

guessing good service/performance means not selling on ebay??????

I am finding I am not selling on other auction sites and will have to return

to ebay, I have to get more income. I will see what happens when I

start to relist.

Login to Me Too

fjp800
Contributor
Contributor

The new policy is OUTRAGEOUS!!!  This is what I have done as a protest and will continue to do!!!!!... I transferred all of my funds from PayPal to my bank account.  Spread the word and.. Just maybe, PayPal will get the message!!!  Withdraw all your funds as they become available!!!

Like we do not have enough to do!  Now I have to really push for feedback OR .. If not purchased via E-Bay..keep track of every item we mail AND notify PayPal when they are delivered.. I sell in volume and they [PayPal] has NO idea what a Pain this new policy is. Or if they do.. they just don't give a crap about Sellers..  Let's not kid ourselves...  This new policy has nothing to do with Buyer Protection...  By holding YOUR money for up to 21 days.. They increase their profits!!!  We are not talking about pennies here.. We are talking about Millions of Dollars!

Login to Me Too

I was told SPECIFICLY by paypal, that the "21 day hold" BS would not happen to me once I recieved 100 positive feedbacks so they really have no right to hold your money!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.