Ebay paypal and charge back confusion?

Sellingnow1982
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I had an item returned to me that was bought on ebay.  I sent the buyer a mutual cancelation agreement she did not agree because I had not yet refunded her money.  A few days later I get my item back.  Then a week later I get a charge back from paypal.  Paypal gives me no option to refund the money when a charge back happens.  Plus ebay did not notifiy me of this. 

When I gave a refund before ebay just asked for the money back I refund and the buyer got the money back and I got my final value fees back.  I want my final value fees back from ebay.

I don't understand why I can't refund the buyer and get my ebay fees back.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Andy

Sellingnow1982-  Sorry to hear that you're in this tough situation.  Chargebacks are more difficult because PayPal doesn't really control what happens with them nor the outcome; we'll work on your behalf, but we're under the auspices of the credit card company.  The reason that you can't just refund the buyer is because if we tried to push money back to the credit card during a chargeback, there would be a rather large fine for that. No one wants that, so you can't refund as you normally would. 

The closest you could get would be to 'Accept liability' which should be an option in the case.  I will tell you up front though, doing this will charge you the $20 chargeback fee.  If you choose to go this route, you can always give us a call and we'll see what we can do about that. No guarantees of course.

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.