Is Vanilla prepaid visa gift card decline paypal ?

LewisUS
New Community Member

I can not add my Vanilla prepaid visa gift card with my paypal. Anyone have this same situation as me?

Login to Me Too
56 REPLIES 56

Siberblade
Contributor
Contributor
Any updates?
Login to Me Too

jshillin55
Contributor
Contributor

Nope.  Just avoid the prepaid cards and load cash directly into PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Sb182
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any other company other than PayPal where Vanilla prepaid cards can be added to wallet and payments can be made. I mean what’s the replacement for PayPal where vanilla cards work

Login to Me Too

Mickey2029
Contributor
Contributor

it was frustrating for me not to be able to use my prepaid card (Vanilla) anymore on paypal or anywhere else. I tried another brand of prepaid card (Joker Prepaid). And everything works wonderfully well

Login to Me Too

KerwinZqt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I just replaced all my vanilla prepaid cards with joker prepaid card. But when I try to pay for my international transactions, sometimes the joker card works, but most of the time it fails. May I know how you use your joker card via Paypal? Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Yungraider
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve always used my prepaid vanilla cards for Spotify directly and also ALWAYS linked the card to PayPal in order to use it on other sites. Today the pre paid vanilla (Mastercard) wasn’t working, I called vanilla phone line the guy offered 0 help and said it’s not allowed to be used on PayPal?… so I went out and bought ANOTHER vanilla card (visa) and still doesn’t work like what the F man…
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yungraider 

Paypal does not accept all cards so if you may get the message the card is declined. If the Visa you are trying to add is virtual or issued online you may need to try another card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SolidSonicTH
Contributor
Contributor

Would you pay attention? People are saying that their cards are PHYSICAL cards.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SolidSonicTH 

Or you could try actually READING???

I wrote..........

Paypal does not accept all cards so you may get the message the card is declined.

If the Visa you are trying to add is virtual or issued online you may need to try another card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MsFuddleDuddle
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having this problem too. I have two, $500 Visa Vanilla gift cards bought in cash from the local drugstore. When I go to VanillaGift.com and enter the card info, it says that the cards have already been activated (which they were at the register). There is no option to re-activate or enter personal payment information or anything of the sort. They appear to be fine on that end. But when I try to link these cards to PayPal, it says they have been declined by the issuing bank. I tried contacting PayPal support via chat and they said to contact the card issuer because the problem is not PayPal's.

So I called the number on the back of the card and was transferred to the absolute most useless call center. I cannot understand a word they say (appears to be in India or Bangladesh or elsewhere in that part of the world), and they get annoyed when (as politely and calmly as I can) I mention that I am having trouble understanding them, and ask them to repeat. First they said Visa Vanilla was not allowed for use with "mobile wallets" (I tried the card also with Venmo, which I didn't know was also a PayPal company, and later CashApp), and then that I should try ordering directly from a merchant or using it in person. So I tried buying something online that I know I already intended to get, and it was declined there too. But according to some respondents here, it is a PayPal problem and not a Visa one? I just don't know what to believe at this point anymore.

I am caught in a kind of catch-22, as I am in the US and trying to purchase a gift for someone from a small business in Canada that uses Shopify as its storefront operator. Apparently(?), come to find out that Visa Vanilla cards can only be used directly with merchants in the country of purchase. The workaround to do international purchases is to go through PayPal... but either PayPal or Visa (one or the other, or both) will not allow me to use the cards on PayPal! What is the use of these things if you're geolocked in a global marketplace in the year 2023? Why all the frustrating red tape? Someone fix this please!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.