Paypal not following preferred method of payment

shibainuthedog
New Community Member

I have my preferred method of payment set for my CC (CAD) as I use the USD in my wallet for USD-specific transactions.

My most recent purchase has automatically taken my USD in my wallet and auto-converted to CAD to pay for a transaction, even when I checked to ensure that it was not supposed to be the case;  the recurring payment had my CC as the preferred method of payment as it was made with CC beforehand as well.

Why is this happening? It was a small transaction, but why is this even allowed to occur?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

jmhbpc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Sorry I cannot help you, but I have the same problem. Paypal changed my preferred cards for subscription and I cannot

communicate with them about this. Their chat system seems broken and there seems no way to communicate

directly with them

I am adding my concern here in hopes that Paypal rep might answer both issues.

Sorry to piggyback on your post

I am having to re-configure the preferred card options for a number of auto-pay subscriptions.

No Clue as to why Paypal entered my account preferences. Plus, no clue as to why

customer service does not seem to understand this problem, on their system's part

Login to Me Too

LBud1
New Community Member

I stumbled across this post, which explains the reason we are all having this problem: 

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Payments-Archives/No-Payment-Choice-Offered-Other-Than-Bank-Not-... 

Paypal apparently allows the seller its choice from the various payment methods linked to your account, as described below:

the availability of certain payment methods may be limited based on a particular seller or the third-party website you are using to complete the transaction.

IMO, this is dangerous from the identity theft perspective. An unscrupulous seller might be able to access your unprotected bank account, whereas your credit card offers a much higher level of fraud protection and safety. 

Just my two cents,

Bud

Login to Me Too

susanferrera
Contributor
Contributor
I agree, this concerns me a lot and why would a seller care as long as they get their money. I am having the same problem with a seller that will only take from my bank which is very annoying!!!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our community forum and thank you for your posts!

I certainly understand how concerning this can be for you. As a trusted global payment processor, we don’t just protect your data, we respect it. When you use your PayPal account to send and spend, we’ll only share the information that’s appropriate to complete your transaction and the seller will see your shipping address, not your financial information. The PayPal user agreement has specific information.  You can find the User Agreement by clicking Legal at the bottom of any PayPal page.

To provide one of the safest online payment services, our internal security system reviews every payment before it's approved. If there's any risk found, our system must change the payment method. 

I hope this information helps, have a great day!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.