I can't withdraw money in another country since my original phone number has been deactivated.

Richie1818
New Community Member

Hi everyone,

I've originally created my account in Thailand and then I left the country. Now, years later, I remembered I still have the money left there and wanted to withdraw it but I couldn't due to: 1. The phone number I had registered with was deactivated 2. I'm in another country. When trying to transfer, it said, there was an error.

I've talked to Customer Support in Thailand. They told me my account wasn't verified back in November 2022 and advised me to take the money out, close the account, and open a new one then they said they'd send me confirmation SMS to the phone number (despite me teling them from the beginning that I don't have access to that number anymore). That was the point: I couldn't withdraw.

So they told me I could only resolve the issue once I'm back in Thailand and I asked again, how can you verify my ownership when I don't have the original phone number. I even asked if it's possible to do it with national ID number and they still told me to come back and resolve it in Thailand for security reasons.

The money isn't much but I'd like to take it out and not being frozen in PayPal. It was strange I can't do online transaction cross-continent or countries and this is supposed to be global thing and not location based. I've tried adding my foreign bank accounts and even online cards but no success (nor adding new phone number in the country I'm residing in).

I need advice. Should I contact PayPal customer support in the country I'm residing in (or no point since the account was created and linked to Thai banks?). Is there any other method to withdraw the money? I'm also considering not using PayPal anymore. It was my bad that I left the account for too long but I hope there are better alternatives with online transaction that doesn't involve 'you need to be present at the local bank' or having to be physically there.

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.