why payments i received has been autonatically from usd to euro

fefeba
New Community Member

Hi, i just opend an account to receive pay,ent in usd but all of the, where converted to euros without my knowledge nor authorisation. How was this possible? i have both USD and EURO as currency in my account

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fefeba 

No idea why but if you go into Settings > Seller Tools > Payment receiving preferences > Update 

You’ll see this setting:

Allow payments sent to me in a currency I do not hold:
This setting only applies to the currencies that you can hold in your PayPal account. Learn more

- Yes, accept and convert them to Euro. Additional charges apply

- No, deny the payments

- Yes, accept payment and create new holding balance in that currency

Select the last option. 

Also keep in mind when working with multiple foreign currencies that currency conversion fees, which are built into the exchange rate, will apply on withdrawals of foreign currencies and transferring between foreign currency balances you hold in PayPal.

PayPal will always convert your foreign currencies to € when withdrawing. There’s no way to avoid this. 

For example, to withdrawal USD with a non-US PayPal account, you must withdraw to a US bank account (with 3% fee). withdrawing to a USD currency local bank account will cause double currency conversion! PayPal converts the USD to EUR and your USD bank account will convert the EUR to USD.

So it is recommended to request money, invoice, or sell in your local currency (€) to avoid the excessive conversion fees. Or hold the foreign currency in PayPal balances to pay for purchases or send money with those balances.

To send (pay) and request with a foreign currency, you must select the foreign currency you want to use as your primary currency first.

Since you’re new to PayPal, you should read the Help docs for how to use your PayPal account.

To contact customer service:     

https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us      

Click “Message Us” or “Call Us” option on the bottom.   

Reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter:      

https://www.facebook.com/PayPal     

Twitter: @AskPayPal      

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.