Pending overcharge still pending after nearly a week.

thatcaptjim
New Community Member

6 days ago I had lunch at my friendly local Mexican restaurant. The cashier accidentally typoed the amount that went into their CC machine (it's all old technology there) and charged me in excess of $300 instead of the actual amount of $32 (hit an extra 0). They caught the mistake immediately and issued me a refund. I cannot use the automated resolution center to report the issue. The automated chat bot is worse than useless. If I call, I wait on hold for over an hour.  I've checked with the retailer and they say the transaction never even went through on their end because they issued the refund before the day's accounts were settled (and they're friends of mine, I doubt they're lying to me). Paypal is holding onto that $300+ like their life depended on it. What else can I do?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thatcaptjim 

When you pay a company then it is often pending or awaiting authorisation until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.

If they don't process the order (which they won't as they cancelled it) and capture that payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment and returns back to your funding source.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.