How long does it take for PayPal to release funds they've locked on a credit card?

jerwam
New Community Member

Hello all,

I recently went through the checkout process on a merchants website, chose PayPal as the payment source, logged into PayPal, picked my credit card, clicked the "OK" button on the PayPal popup, and then was dropped to the merchant site once again, however, I didn't actually go through with the purchase.  It looks like as soon as one clicks the "OK" button in the PayPal checkout process, it locks the full amount on the credit card.  Has anyone else seen this, and if so, how were you able to release the funds?

I've done that a couple of times on the merchants site, but finally going through with the purchase on the 4th go round, not knowing they, PayPal, would hold the funds for the other three times I did that dance.  At the moment PayPal is holding nearly $250 on my card, and they don't seem to be of much help on releasing it.

I've also contacted the credit card company, but was hoping PayPal would be able to do it much quicker.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jerwam 

Nope, you’ll have to wait for the temporary holds to time out and drop off. It can take a week, up to 30 days. They’re not charges, just temporary holds. It the holds remain beyond 30 days, ask your card issuer to void them if you do not have pending transactions in PayPal account to get PayPal to void.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.