Paypal censoring conservatives? Free Speech Union?

jaamiller
Contributor
Contributor

In recent weeks PayPal has seemingly taken a decision to close the accounts of people and organisations that hold conservative and classical liberal views.

To my knowledge PayPal has given no reason as to why it has taken this action. PayPal claim, without providing any evidence of specific activity, that these groups have violated PayPal's terms of service.

Has anyone else noticed that the following have been removed?

The Free Speech Union (UK)
The Daily Sceptic 
Toby [Removed]
Tim [Removed]

please list any other such groups that you have seen PayPal act against.

I have been with PayPal since it started nearly 20 years ago.
Now I am looking to dissociate myself from PayPal as a result of its actions. 

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

Feathara
Contributor
Contributor

This isn't cancel culture, paypal can take 2500 bucks out of your account! Right before they made the use legal terms and conditions unavailable, there was still loose verbiage that still allowed them to take that money as well as a reporting link with a drop down menu and one of the items on the menu to choose was misinformation/hate speech!!!

Login to Me Too

Spleen
New Community Member

Yes, this is unacceptable. The Free Speech Union have helped many people fight discrimination so why does Paypal have a problem with this?

Login to Me Too

PedroPapaM

I will be looking to move recurring payments out of Paypal, and to cease using it entirely for single purchases.

Utterly disgusted by Paypal’s unilateral and misguided action.

The USA has been completely hi-jacked by the woke brigade who, ironically, ‘champion free speech’. You really could not make it up.

Whosoever monitors this forum on behalf of Paypal will hopefully have the cojones to pass it up the chain.

Login to Me Too

Sean83501
New Community Member

Been using paypal about 20 years. I can not support communism in America, so can no longer support paypal. Just like I no longer support amazon, netflix, etc... Glad they are showing their true colors so people will know where they stand. Once they loose enough people and reverse this, I will never return as I know their true intentions now. GO WOKE AND GO BROKE!!!

Login to Me Too

Jpak1
Contributor
Contributor

I am so disgusted by this. How dare these people discriminate against others on the basis of a lawful political opinion. If this is not overturned within 72 hours I will be closing my account. 

Login to Me Too

Sar7cee

They have now unblocked Toby Young and his group. It's disgusting to block a group campaigning for freedom of expression within the law. PayPal are setting themselves up as judge and jury where anyone dares to question their "progressive" agenda.

Toby Young is well-known and was able to get publicity; lots of less prominent groups weren't able to do this.

Login to Me Too

Jpak1
Contributor
Contributor

It's good to see they have unblocked Young, but you certainly have a point re other organisations.  We really need a 'free speech union' to watch big tech and take action when they do things like this.  I will stay on Paypal at this point but will certainly be watching for more instances of this outrageous behaviour.  In the meantime, is there any payment platform that is committed to free speech?  Why don't we ask them to make this commitment?

Login to Me Too

Feathara
Contributor
Contributor

Further proof that this was no mistake on their part is that one of their own woke moderators told people how to report it in August so hogwash!!! See link below.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Suggestions-for-PayPal/Paypal-is-allowing-donations-for-hate-spe...

A misspelling is a mistake, not a whole philosophy written into taking 2500 out of our accounts without due process and posted. The backlash is forcing them to backpeddle and cover it up.

Login to Me Too

syfr
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal doesn't even have the integrity to admit they misjudged their marketplace and **bleep** up. Instead it's deemed a "mistake".

Liars.

I'm going to take their cheesy $15 bribe then cancel anyway.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.