Preferred name option

Teamsaxon
Contributor
Contributor
I am sure I speak for many people in saying that there needs to be a preferred name option on PayPal that when used does not show your legal name, or in my case, deadname. I have used my PayPal under my preferred name for some years and only now I am being told to provide documents verifying my identity and home address. I have not taken action due to the fact these documents are all under my dead name. I would rather lose my PayPal account than use my deadname - so many people are caused distress by the fact they cannot opt for a preferred name while using PayPal. I wonder if PayPal cares that people would close their accounts over this? Stop being stuck in the dark ages and offer people the option.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

lilygruman

I just set up my account and it **bleep** up my dead name too (I think it got it from my credit card, but the first and last are swapped) so I went to just change it to my real name and it requires official identification to change. You're right, I'm not keeping this account. Paypal evidently doesn't care about being inclusive of trans people.

Edit: the censor makes it look like I said something way worse than I said. It's the equivalent of "messed", except it references twisting a metal fastener to hold two pieces of wood or other materials together.

Login to Me Too

MichelleDiane

I agree, this makes no sense. I understand that they want the legal name in there for security reasons, but that doesn't mean they have to display it! They can keep it tucked away in case someone closes their account suddenly during a dispute or something. That is the ONLY reason they need a legal name. I don't know what to think, here. I use paypal a lot, but I really don't need to. I'm not trans and I didn't know about the policy change until reading this. There's too much of the world where legal name changes are difficult.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.