Help with cancelling a recurring subscription please.

caravanj
Contributor
Contributor

I want to cancel a recurring subscription but there is no 'cancel' tab on the page listing the recurring payment details. I have cancelled them before for other merchants but the tab is missing on this one. If all else fails I'll just report it to my credit card company.

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

caravanj
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I found it more by good luck than by good judgement. Anyway I'm pleased I could help you.

Login to Me Too

jonsambrook
New Community Member

Thank God I found this thread! Exactly the same problem as you. Since when did "cancel profile" mean "cancel subscription" Trust Paypal to over complicate what should be a simple process!

Jon

Login to Me Too

p-b
New Community Member

Totally agree! I was going to hit  that cancel button but thought i would be deleting a way of paypal chasing any history to block the person being paid! Profile is sooooooooooooo the wrong word paypal! Please call it CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION for all our sakes!

Thank goodness for this thread!

Login to Me Too

nuttyev
Contributor
Contributor

Yes  p-b that was exactly what was going through my mind! I too had to cancel a recurring subscription.  I have done it, the payment is still in 'unclaimed' status, at my time of cancelling, so does this mean that the payment will not be able to go ahead or that it will go ahead but any subsequent recurring payment will not go ahead, I'm confused, and the company are not replying to my emails....

Login to Me Too

caravanj
Contributor
Contributor

As soon as you hit the 'cancel profile' button you should get the message shown below.

"This profile has been cancelled and cannot be reactivated. No more recurring payments will be made."

Provided you get this message then no more recurring payments will be made to that merchant.  I suppose if you cancel on or near to the day a payment is due it might account for the 'unclaimed status' message you got.

Login to Me Too

nuttyev
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks caravanj, I notice in my history overview that there is the entry for it  (the transaction) stating it has been set up, then above that that it has been 'completed'( previously in that space it said 'unclaimed' -  for about 3 days), then above that it says it has been cancelled....so then does this mean that the money has already gone to them, but no further payments can be taken? with it saying 'completed' ?  It seems that  soon after or very near to my cancellation action taken, they claimed it?

By the way, Yes when I did 'cancel profile' I got that message saying profile has been cancelled and cannot be reactivated, no more recurring payments will be made.

Login to Me Too

caravanj
Contributor
Contributor

If you cancelled it before the next payment date then PayPal shouldn't have sent any more payments after that date. I've cancelled a recurring payment in the evening before the day the next payment was due & the payment wasn't sent so from my experience it works.

Login to Me Too

nuttyev
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again, caravanj, I think then what may have happened is they have took the first payment, already -

the recurring payment would have been yearly.....had I not cancelled,

so I think I must now claim back the £25 which appears to have been taken....

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey guys, I have this on another thread, but let me put it here as well. There are two ways to check the status of a Subscription or Recurring Payment on your PayPal account:

From your History log:

1. Log in to your account at www.paypal.co.uk  
2. Click on 'History' near the top of the page.
3. Click on the ‘More filters’ drop down menu and choose the 'Subscriptions and agreements' option.
4. Select 'Recurring Payments' and then 'My Profile'.
4. Change the date back to when you started the subscription and then click ‘Show’.
5. View the details of a specific 'Subscription Creation' by clicking 'Details' in the Details column.

From your Profile:

1. Log in to your account at www.paypal.co.uk  
2. Click on ‘Profile’ near the top of the page.
3. Click ‘Recurring payments’ in the Financial Information column.
4. Click ‘View details’ to consult the subscription.

This page will show detailed information regarding your Subscription and Recurring Payments. On this page, you may change the funding source or cancel your Subscription.

The following is a key to the status of your Subscription:

Active: There are future scheduled payments for this subscription. This subscription may be cancelled if needed
Failed: The subscription payment has failed. This payment may be reattempted by the seller
Cancelled: This subscription has been cancelled. No future payments will be made
Completed: All payments for this subscription have been made. No future payments will be made

When viewing your subscription details, make sure you are clicking on the transaction Type that is titled 'Subscription Creation' and not a payment transaction. If your subscription has completed, the Type will be 'Subscription Completion' and the status will show at 'Completed'.

Note:

• Sellers may automatically cancel your subscription if a payment fails. However, many sellers enable automatic reattempts. If a seller is using automatic reattempt, you will be notified via e-mail of the reason your payment failed and permitted to solve the problem before the next attempted payment.

Login to Me Too

mcr83
Contributor
Contributor

I have just cancelled 2 recurring/automatic payments, but how do I remove all the information about these subscriptions from my account? At the moment the information is still their and their status is "inactive". Is it possible to delete this information completely after a recurring payment has been cancelled?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.