PayPay going to the Dark Side

RammerJammer
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a student account for my daughter 6 months ago, debit card and all. I have not had any problems transferring money to her until last week. Sent money on 3/4 and here it is 3/9 and still showing PENDING. The money cleared my bank account on 3/7. Where it used to say 'AUTOMATED DEBIT PAYPAL INST XFER' the transaction now says 'AUTOMATED DEBIT PAYPAL ECHECK'. Whats up with that? Did I miss the memo that said PayPal was changing the way they handle transfers? I don't think so. I ended up making a paymet to her account to get the money to her but was charged a transaction fee to do it. Must be a new way for PayPal to generate some income. The aggrevating part of the whole deal is she still doesn't have access to the money I sent but my bank account has been debited. The money is in PayPal limbo. The statements about PayPal waiting on the bank to approve the transaction are a crock because it was approved and posted 2 days ago.  I'm just glad it wasn't a large amount that was sent. Guess I'll have to find a new way to send money. Transfer money at your own risk.  

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Olivia

Hi RammerJammer,

Every payment - including transfers from a parent account to a student account, go through security models that look at all of the information involved. Sometimes a funding method is disallowed, leaving the remaining funding method to be eCheck. Before you complete the transfer, there is messaging that tells what funding method is being used. If it's eCheck, it also advises that the transfer will not be instant.

The best recommendation that I can make to ensure that you'll be able to instantly transfer funds to your child's account every time without waiting for an eCheck to clear is to maintain a positive balance in your account so that funds are already on hand.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

RammerJammer
Contributor
Contributor

I would like someone from PayPal to explain the criteria for the "risk evaluation system"  when doing transfers.

From a previous post in "Student Accounts":

"if you attempt to do a transfer and the risk evaluation system decides that the transaction needs to go through via echeck" instead of a transfer?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.