Can't use student account for online payments

Languidiir
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, every time I go on to my account it tells me that I still have to enter my confirmation code, which I'm pretty sure I already did, and then when I enter it again it tells me I don't have permission to view that page. The debit card is clearly activated, because I've made several real-world purchases with it.

However, when I tried to link my student account to iTunes, it said that I didn't have permission to shop online. My mother enabled this on my account, so I tried again. This time, it gives me a more general error: "You don't have permission to complete this action." I have no idea why, since all the appropriate permissions seem to have been granted.

This isn't terribly urgent or anything, I would just rather use my online account to pay for things so that I don't have to go out and buy gift cards. Can anybody help?

Login to Me Too
33 REPLIES 33

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

theonlywayisup,

Welcome to the boards!

I'm sorry there's not any additional updates at this time, but I will make certain to add your information to the list of affected members.  One workaround you may consider for the time being would be for your parent to receive the payment on your behalf, although you will have to work with them a bit to retrieve the necessary information.

As for the update, implementing a fix for any issue is very simple - if you have a simple website.  PayPal operates a massive financial system that supports over 192 countries and regions, as well as multiple product lines, small business to enterprise level merchant services, mobile payments, and even offline processing and gateway services.  What may seem like a simple fix isn't always the easiest to roll out live on the site, nor would I expect it to be with any service provider who operates this vast of a network.  There are a number of steps that have to be taken to ensure the problem isn't compounded for every one of our hundreds of millions of members.  Nonetheless, I will let everyone know once we have an update!

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

VernonMom
Contributor
Contributor

Additional information, not complaining; student accounts really are terrific and have saved lots of time and trouble!  But, I have 2 student accounts.  The one I set up over a year ago never had any problems. The one I tried to set up about 6 months ago was nothing but problems. I did get them solved, got his account going, finally got a card. Now more problems. We needed to change the email addresses on both accounts, and neither of them would work, it just kept looping them back to me. The first account is still in use, the second can't be used online. Looks to me like IT did updating in the first quarter of 2011 and got some code crossed.  I would hazard a guess and bet all of the student accounts are affected to some degree.  Hope you catch a break and figure it out!!  Smiley Wink

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

VernonMom - Thank you for the additional information, and I'm glad your first student account went smoothly.  I appreciate the feedback and will be happy to forward that over. 

Ashlen2 - Student cards usually take 2-4 weeks to show up in the mail, but they're usually there in 2 weeks.  If it's been over a month and you haven't received it yet, give PayPal a call so we can check and see if it was returned in the mail or destroyed by the post office. 

ChayaChayaChaya - I'm sorry if my response came off as brazen or rude; it wasn't meant that way.  My apologies to yourself and everyone else.  Smiley Sad  I appeciate the candid response and absolutely don't want to discourage you from open and honest feedback. 

The way your retail store works is very much the same way larger businesses work as well, with teams working on different aspects of the product.  Where we diverge, though, is that an online business everything is funnelled into the website coding.  One change there can affect something entirely different somewhere else, so businesses that run almost entirely off of websites have to be extra careful about how they change something.  Even a period in the wrong place can cause a major issue.

For example, I recently purchased an online game.  That was a few months ago, every thing worked great and I was absolutely thrilled with the product.  Then they issued an update - which I was very excited for because it included new features - and all of a sudden, my game quit working and wouldn't load.  After searching through their support forums, an associated vendors forum, and all sorts of other documentation - including their support teams - they were able to figure out the problem, but because coding updates have to be strictly controlled and they have to test the fix not only within their system but against configurations across all PCs their customers are likely to use, it won't be delivered until next month.  Smiley Sad

The error for my game?  In one of the coding files, the letter N needs to be capitalized. Smiley Surprised 

And that's really why things can take a little while to fix.  If one of our engineers were to, so to speak, "fail to capitalize a letter," it really does have the potential to shut off sending and receiving payments for every member of PayPal across the entire world.  Fixes can't always rolled out immediately or quickly - they have to be tested, they have to be checked, and double checked, and checked again! Smiley Happy

Adrian

Login to Me Too

ChayaChayaChaya
Contributor
Contributor
Adrian, I absolutely loved your response to me. I felt reassured and cared about as a customer. It was awesome. But your response to someone else in which you said the slow fix on this issue is because PayPal's a big company kinda rubbed me the wrong way. What you said is true, but companies also have employees--often entire branches--devoted to certain tasks. I work in a small retail store but we have teams that handle business customers, teams that handle repairs, teams that care for the visuals, etc. I can't imagine PayPal launched student cards without support; surely there's not just one guy or gal who handles all of the things you mentioned. And in any case, weeks or months of debit cards not working means something is going wrong somewhere in the organization of your company. I'm not mad and will wait patiently, but your answer wasn't quite right IMO.
Login to Me Too

AZKaah
New Community Member

Please hurry fixing this problem! Looks like it has been an issue for 10 or more days now!!

Thanks

Login to Me Too

woodpicker
Contributor
Contributor

Adrian,  It's been 6 weeks since this post. Any updates on the setting of permissions that disappeared and can't be reset?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Woodpicker,

There's no new information at this time.  As soon as more updates arrive, they'll be posted here.

Thanks for your patience! 

Adrian 

Login to Me Too

ashlen2
New Community Member

How long exactly does it take for the student card to come in the mail? There is $200 just sitting there and I would like to know how long. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

PAJ
Contributor
Contributor

Coming up on a month with this issue!!!  Can we have you set our permissions (bypassing the broken interface)?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

PAJ,

Our engineers are still working on resolving this issue so that these settings can be changed; as soon as updates arrive, I'll be certain to post them here.  

Adrian 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.