eBay Keeps asking for me to add a credit card when I have two on file with PayPal? How can I pay?!

RDKpaid
Contributor
Contributor

This is driving me up the wall.  I have bought MANY THINGS ON EBay and never had a problem before, but all the sudden about a month ago, when I go to pay for an item it asks me to add a credit card to my PayPal file as if I never had one there!!  What the heck?  So I added my card, hit continue, and it goes back to that screen!!  I have done it over and over for hours with getting nowhere, so I went to my PayPal account directly.  Sure enough, my cards are still there.  I removed them both, added my first one manually and went to pay on ebay again.  What do you know, it worked again!!  For a month or two...

Fast forward to today, I'm paying for an item and sure enough, it asks me for my credit card again!!  What gives man?!  No, my credit cards aren't expired (they don't for another 2 years), no they are NOT voided or whatever (I use them for small purchases), and NO they ARE NOT overdraft!!  So why does eBay keep pestering me with entering my credit card info to pay?

Anyway, I did the same thing as before; I tried for about 20 minutes with the stupid screen refreshing and me having to ender card data again, I went to PayPal, checked to see 2 cards still there (as I added another later), and removed them both.  I then added the first one AGAIN and went to pay for my eBay item, no problems.  I did a batch buy, however, and it only allowed me to pay for the first item!!  I checked my records on PayPal, sure enough only one buy went through, and so I went back thinking it was a mistake to pay for the others again.

After getting to the "login to PayPal" section again, I see that, what do you know, eBay wants my credit card info AGAIN!!!!  I'm egtting tired of this.  It wasn't even 56 minutes between two purchases and they're saying I never had a credit card on file once more.

What's the problem here?  Am I overlooking something simple?  Is eBay taking my credit cards and giving them away to the endless abyss of Al Gore's ketchup-covered internet?  Am I a victim of countless credit card fraud, even though I check up on my cards almost daily?  Does PayPal just hate me and want me to never buy again on eBay?  Is the end of the world near as PayPal and eBay become more and more corrupted in their endless greed?!?!

Thanks for the help 🙂

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

silverchakra
Contributor
Contributor

This is SO ridiculous! I wish we could speak to someone who could really DO something about it! My purchase wasn't even with Ebay. It was just a regular online store like I've used a zillion times! I'm really sick of this entire thing!

Login to Me Too

kitte
Contributor
Contributor

http://getsatisfaction.com/paypal/topics/paypal_ask_me_to_add_a_new_credit_card2

seems if you have some sort of flag on your acct, you get that problem when trying to pay for purchases over $50.

really lame... PP limited my acct since i'm out of the country for the time being even tho i'm shipping to my usual verified US address.  it was a pain to get it 'restored' but technically it really isn't!  wtf.

i just paid for the cheap stuff & no problems there.  will have to get the BF at home to pay for the spendier stuff (gonna get yelled at, **bleep**.) 

Login to Me Too

endora
New Community Member

I can confirm it is not just for purchases over $50. I just tried to pay $14.95 and it is asking me to put a cc on file.

Login to Me Too

pianonana
Contributor
Contributor

I finally stopped using Paypal for quite a few months.  My purchases were also hung up for small amounts.  One was under $4.00!  I tried using Paypal for a purchase last week just to see what would happen, and it went through immediately.  I have used it only twice since months ago.  Just got totally fed up with the glitch.  I avoid Paypal now, and don't know if they ever resolved the problem.  i'm sure it affected many merchants, not just customers.

Login to Me Too

pianonana
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem, talked to 2 PP reps, both said problem was "with the seller".  Seller denies problem.  I finally paid with credit card.  When I log in, screen asks for debit card info, you type it in, and screen says, "We already have this account, please edit or change" and on you go in a circle.  Was told my account was fine, have used PP for years as a buyer, this is a royal pain.  Seems to be random depending on the seller, but something is wrong.  Reps told me that security measures stopped the transaction, something to do with the seller, but who knows?  Does anyone know whether some sellers limit sales if the buyer doesn't have funds sitting  in a PP account?  I do not, i pay directly from Visa. 

Login to Me Too

silverchakra
Contributor
Contributor

I have never run into a seller doing anything like that. I think it's just whatever this problem is. I have 2 paypal accounts. One I only use a credit card and the other I only use my bank account. Actually it's a business bank account. The seller I was dealing with even checked their Paypal settings and they were all as usual. The paypal rep told me the merchant probably wasn't set up to take echecks (not true). We're all running into the same adding credit card already having it on file circle. It can't be all these random merchants all of a sudden! The one I was buying from I have purchased from on several occassions with no problem! There is some glitch with paypal and I'm wondering if they recently updated their security measures or something along those lines and it has a bug or something that they need to work out. I can only imagine how many people are experiencing this beyond the few of us writing on this board. I will call paypal tomorrow and I'll let you all know what story I'm told!

Login to Me Too

pianonana
Contributor
Contributor

I was told by PP rep that this was part of their "security profile" and that when there is a problem of some kind with the seller, PP will block the transaction.  Goofy answer.  Why not just contact the seller if there is a real problem?  Yes, I think there are many people who will leave PP because of this problem.  I have had two transactions under $10 with two different sellers in the past two months which both threw me into the "edit your account info/we already have that account on file" circle.  I agree with you, how many sellers can be having the same problem??  On the second call to a different PP rep, I got the same answer.  "Problem with seller, we are trying to prevent you from having future disappointment with this transaction."  Whatever that means I don't know.  They should fix the problem, not side-step it.  It is not easy to even get in touch with the rep.  The robo messages are useless.

Login to Me Too

kitte
Contributor
Contributor

ok, i'm slightly relieved that i'm not the only one w/ this problem... i too have paid for hundreds of items, am verified, have multiple cards & bank acct on file.  the enter credit card info screen just keeps popping up over & over again when trying to pay for ebay items.  ridiculously irritating. 

there are several items that really need to be paid!  i've tried deleting CCs on file, re entering them, tried on multiple CPUs, tried messing w/ my internet settings.  nothing works.  (i know you can pay via the send money link but without paying thru ebay checkout, you don't earn any ebay bucks!  and i've just dropped a ton of dough too.)

arrived at this thread while attempting to fix this myself since paypal help is utterly useless.  'sarah' doesn't recognize much except when you curse at her.  email responses don't seem to be written by live people.

the baffling this is, this problem seems to have affected quite a few for some time already... why is it not yet resolved?  does paypal even know about this?  do they care? 

if you're a heavy ebay shopper like myself, you're stuck with paypal & the horrible customer service... (infuriating considering the mad amount they've made off me as a seller & heavy buyer)

Login to Me Too

Bronze_Beauty
Contributor
Contributor

As we speak I am having this issue with trying to purchase an item through paypal. The exact same thing pops up at the top of my screen as well. I tried your method as far as taking the card off of paypal and then re-adding it. No luck. Im really getting frustrated and upset. Anything else I can do? And this is my first time using paypal to pay for my items. Please guide me. I really need it.

Login to Me Too

silverchakra
Contributor
Contributor

When this was happening to me it wasn't eBay but just a regular online merchant that I had purchased from before. I was verified etc. It was so frustrating! PayPal seemed to know nothing about it when I called. I just kept getting, I don't know why it's doing that. Grrrr... So, eventually I just put ANOTHER credit card on the account  (even though it has about $10. available at any given time) and finally I stopped getting the message. I was using a bank account that had a lot of money in it. But that wasn't good enough. But, the worst of it was no customer service rep at PayPal having any answers!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.