Paypal payment now ask me to pay by credit card?

titanictarn
Contributor
Contributor

Up until tonight, whenever I've paid via Paypal, the payment would deduct any money I had in my paypal account. If my paypal account was low or empty, the payment would be outdated from my checking account the following day.

For some reason this has changed- I may have accidentally changed something when looking around my personal info- when I tried to pay for something by paypal tonight, it wouldn't let me-even though I had money in my paypal account.  it said my card wasn't good. Well, the card is good and valid, but a bit maxed out-but I NEVER pay by card.

I have money sitting in my paypal account- the payment should have deducted from that, as drawn the remaining $20 from my checking (which would post the next day). It has always been this way...

But now it seems the only way I'm allowed to pay is by e-check, which sellers hate, as it takes a week to clear.

I have no open disputes. Why did this happen?

My card does expire next month, but I still have time.

I did get an email asking for updated card info, but dismissed it as a Paypal spoof email. Maybe it was legit?

How do I fix this?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

titanictarn
Contributor
Contributor

My card does expire next month..I thought Id have till the first of the month to update my info

Login to Me Too

cosmocanine
Contributor
Contributor
I have pretty much have the same problem! Whenever I use paypal it would normally charge the card I have linked to a bank account. Last night I tried to pay for something and it said that the card was invalid and that I had to enter in a new cards info. The weird thing is that I had just used my paypal account hours earlier and it worked fine. I thought the whole thing was a little suspicious so I didnt enter any card info in. I haven't opened a dispute about it, but I would like to know if it is safe to enter in my card info or if there is something wrong with this situation.
Login to Me Too

doodles67

This is more of a question for Paypal. Paypal/Ebay has recently changed their policy and are forcing customers to pay via credit card. You have to have a valid card on file to complete most transactions.

Login to Me Too

cosmocanine
Contributor
Contributor

I actually called paypal and they told me that it was my credit card provider that was holding back the payment. It turns out since the seller was in Canada, my credit card provider was blocking the transaction. All I had to do was call up my credit card provider and tell them to unblock it and allow that payment to go through!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.