Paid with instant bank transfer but was charged to my card.

seminormal
New Community Member

Recently made an Ebay purchase and used the instant bank transfer option. The transaction showed up on my card statement as a charge and I was charged a over credit fee. They won't refund the fee and added the transaction total to my account. Now I'm paying interest on something I didn't charge. Anybody else have this issue ?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

timageous
Contributor
Contributor
A similar situation happened to me earlier this month. I made a transaction with a debit card and both the debit card and an inactive account were charged. Obviously the inactive account failed, so now they claim that I owe them the remainder. Problem is that no goods changed hands despite the fact that they view it as a separate transaction. I have spoken with a real person exactly once and she was of little help. Almost a month has gone by and now they have frozen my account. Good luck, but prepare to get **bleep** on this deal. I think I may be done with Paypal for good.
Login to Me Too

RamanaKonda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

In case of Instatnt Transfer, PayPal tries to pull the money from your bank account, and it waits for 3-5 days for clearing the same. But for some reason like not enough balance in your bank account, or due to some other reason if your bak declines PayPal's request, PayPal will the money from the alternative funding source in this case your Card.

You can verify this by logging into your paypal account and by checking the transaction details for this transaction. There will be one record which says Transfer from Bank account failed. If this is not there you can definetly complain about this with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Are you saying you chose the option to send a e-check and your credit card was charged instead.

Was there enough funds in your checking account, if not you cc on file then would be charged

Login to Me Too

bluetux
Contributor
Contributor

No way no how does it take 3-5 days for ANYTHING to clear.  Paypal wake up you get the money withing 5 minutes MAXX  and you are holding on to all that cash using an old out of date cliche' like 3-5 days to clear!!  What a scam

Login to Me Too

lumpykarma
New Community Member

paypal routinele takes and EXTRA 4 to 5 days to credit my paypal account with bank transfers that have left my bank ON THE SAME DAY that I set up the transfer...but, when I ask they only will tell me that it "typically takes 3-5 days for the transfer to clear...even though I have proof that the money cleared the same day...I think it is a scam so they can use our money during those extra days...I'm going to talk to an attorney about a class action suit...

in the meantime I've opened a prepaid debit card account with rush card...going to see how that works...

Login to Me Too

Melohawk
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, it's about time Paypal was handed a class action suit.

I've usually gotten around your type of transfer problem by keeping a separate checking acct. just for online use and transfering money into it when I needed it from my main checking acct. That way, nobody had the acct. # for my main acct.

I've always made this separate acct. the primary source of funds for Paypal payments. Now, although there is plenty of money in the checking acct. to cover purchases, they are charging my credit card.  There's no way to stop them because they insist on a card # in order to verify your account.

I've stopped using Paypal now, afraid they will do it again. What's the point of having the bloody thing if you can't use it for fear they will **bleep** up your finances?!!

Bring on a suit, I've got other inconveniences in the past that can be stacked up against them.

Login to Me Too

Melohawk
Contributor
Contributor

Bleeping me are ya. For your information the word "**bleep**" is not a 4 letter bad word. It is used as a descriptive modifier as to how something can be so totally twisted around that it looks like a metal **bleep**.  Now bleep THAT!

Login to Me Too

RamanaKonda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

Incase of Instant Transfer PayPal, will not receive the money, till the check is cleared, which usually takes 3-5 days.

Login to Me Too

Melohawk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I just had the same thing happen with my last two ebay auctions. I had plenty in my bank account however, my credit card was charged. There was no reason for this to have happened. If it happens again, I will close my Paypal account and either re-open it so that all the info can be re-entered (and MAYBE actually show up correctly in someone's little monitor screen) or I will find another service. 

I had a similar problem a few years ago wherein Paypal wouldn't believe who I was and because  when all this happened,I was 100miles away from the phone that I had used when I set up the account, I couldn't answer the computer's call to verify who I was. I sent an email to every addy that I had for Paypal every hour on the hour from that Fri until Sun evening. By Mon I had plenty of apologies and my account ID was restored so that I could use it. However, in the meantime I had to buy a money order so that the seller had his money in time and I didn't show up as a non-paying bidder.  Grrrrrrrr........I'm getting sick of the hassle with these people.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.