money sent to wrong account and paypal wont give me my money back

tankadam
New Community Member

My son is on a trip and ran out of money so i tried to send some money ( friends and family ) and the paypal app autocorrected the email address and mixed two of the letters up

I had sent £170 and the email address of which it was sent to is not responding either, it does not help how it doesnt tell you the name of the person the money is sent to, until after the payment has been sent

Paypal have said there is no way to get this money back, even if the person does not claim it! in other words, it will sit in their account, any information that could help, please let me know.

I have just filed a report with the financial ombudsman to see if this helps

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tankadam

If its a gift payment ie friends / family then you have sent someone just that ''a gift'' and you don't take gifts back again and likewise paypal can't dip into someones paypal account or bank account and help themselves.

If you funded your paypal payment via a card you could try contacting your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you but they may not do so either as it was not a buying transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

shamac
Contributor
Contributor

hi

did the finacial ombudsman help ? the samething has just happened to me im so angry 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Mad
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shamac

If you paid into a wrong bank account then your bank could not help you either as they can't dip into someone bank account and remove any funds.

Same with paypal if you send a ''gift'' payment to the wrong person that that really is your problem and not paypals, they can't help themself from someone elses paypal balance UNLESS it was as a result of a paypal dispute for non receipt of item or item received but not as described.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

shamac
Contributor
Contributor
I realise this I'm asking if the person that also made same mistake on this post managed to get a result from the FINACIAL ombudsman
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shamac

Why would they?

FSA deals in irregularities, and this is not an irregularity.

The FSA approved paypals user agreement  when it came into being and that is part of the agreement.

Also paypal is now no longer regulated by the FSA,

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.