Tracking info before payment released?

Pia03hj
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Received a couple of suspicious emails after I sent a request for money to a buyer for an item. They wanted international postage and I received two emails saying they've paid but it's being held until I send PayPal the tracking details. However the emails come from postage-service@net-shopping.com which isn't the usual email address. I'm suspicious it's a scam - can anyone advise please? Thanks
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pia03hj

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM....READ THIS TO SEE >>>

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria (Africa somewhere).
You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pia03hj

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM....READ THIS TO SEE >>>

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria (Africa somewhere).
You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pia03hj
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you!! I suspected it and they tried sending more emails pertaining to be from PayPal. What triggered my suspicions was requiring me to send tracking info before any payment was released (it didn't appear in my app at all) and then the email address wasn't PayPal. Have since had it confirmed that this user and the emails are fraudulent. Thank you for your help!
Login to Me Too

amandaw6
New Community Member
I'm so thankful i found this. This man was doing this exact same thing to my husband. He insisted it had to be through PayPal, ship only through USPS said it was a surprise gift for his son serving in the military, stationed in Nigeria, and I recieved the same emails about the tracking info. I knew something wasn't right, I'm glad I listened to my gut and looked into this and found your post.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@amandaw6

Well done  Smiley Happy

Just remember  >>

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DeeRez96
New Community Member
This just happened to me and I fell for it! I sent the item and have not neen paid! Help! What do I do??
Login to Me Too

Pullhard68
Contributor
Contributor

Me too. Devastated to say I've sent a £2500 watch and have not received the funds in spite of having an email to say I have. Parcel was delivered to an address in Barking and has been received and signed for. Only reason I was selling is because I lost my job and needed the money. Have been in touch with a debt collectors to see if they can help. Just distraught. Can PayPal do something to try to catch these disgusting lowlifes?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pullhard68

If the money was not in your paypal balance then you have not been paid.

If you were scammed by a fake email then unfortunately there is not a lot paypal can do as none of the transaction was done using their site.

However for that amount of money I would file a police report AND contact Action Fraud.

I would also contact your ''buyer'' and state that if he does not pay then you will be filing a claim in the small claims court (you can or cannot do that as that is up to you but sometimes the threat works).

It is unusual though for a scammer to scam someone in the same country !!!!! Are you sure they did not pay but its pending or there was a typo in the email address or another reason the payment is not showing?  

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pullhard68
Contributor
Contributor
The 'buyer' is not answering any mails so I guess he no longer wants to talk to me. Will be in touch with the police and fraud agency to see what can be done. Kicking myself for being so stupid!! Desperate for money so just got over excited by the prospect of a decent sale and having a stress free month I guess!! Will double check the email address but there seem to have been an awful lot of scam emails relating to this transaction so I'm assuming I've been truly **bleep** over 😞
Login to Me Too

pgr98
New Community Member

Just received the same thing, if anyone is selling an iPhone on eBay, and someone messages you offering a higher sum than you put up for, they are likely fraudsters. 

One of these had 8 positive feedbacks that used the exact email address mentioned in this forum so that also is deceptive. I never sent the item thankfully.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.