hoax buyers

lol21
Contributor
Contributor

hi  all 

my son put his car on Gumtree for sale on the 20th of june within a few hours he had a buer wanting it .he agreed a price and the money was to be payed via pay pal so my son gave him my details this is when it got weird. the buer said the car was for his son and was going to be colected by his transporters  who needed payed via western union money transferr. acording to him paypal would not relees the funds into my account untill they had a reff no for western union which set alarm bells rining with me basicly he wantsd me to pay 200 pounds to this company befor any mony would be sent to my acc from paypal.

i contacted paypal and was told this was a hoax. i emaild the gentle man back and told him i had spoken to paypal and that i would not be paying any money to his coriours as hewas a hoaxter

i have just had an email from him saying iff i dont pay his transporters he will go to the police.

i am going to take the emails i have from him to the police myself

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yep common scam.

Pointless contacting the police as the hoaxer is nearly always in Nigeria. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lol21
Contributor
Contributor

He did say he was abroad and the address he gave for the  transporters doesn't seem to exist on google earth  i checked .

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No it would not exist, he does not want the car all he wants is to scam you of the so called agents fee via western union.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Annette2012
New Community Member
Hello I am a first time seller and have had a very dodgy buyer. Is it normal for PayPal to contact you on behalf of the buyer and also threaten you with the police? The buyer wanted me to send a phone to Nigeria before receiving the money. I was warned not to do this buy the post office who had had a lot of people scammed this way
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No of course its not and the email would not have been from paypal it would have been from the person trying to scam you.

Never send an item until the payment shows in your paypal account, paypal never ask you to ship an item first before the payment appears in your account.

Also people in Nigeria cannot hold paypal accounts.

Thank goodness for your post office being on the ball.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Annette2012
New Community Member
Yes I know im very lucky. Thank you
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.