Refund of payment

raeman
Contributor
Contributor
HI. I recently refunded a friend,s payment. But he says its not clearing on his end. Even though its saying complete at my end. Why is this. And how long does it take to clear at his end. Surely if It says complete at my end it should be completed.
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@raeman

Does it say pending or temporary hold on his end?

How did you FUND the refund ie from your bank account or paypal balance?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

raeman
Contributor
Contributor
Im sure he said it was pending. I just refunded it from my PayPal account. Basically just refunded his payment. But I think PayPal kept a fee.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@raeman

Yes i know you refunded it from your paypal account but did you FUND it via funds IN your paypal balance OR bank account?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

raeman
Contributor
Contributor
My PayPal balance.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@raeman

ok sorry late reply been of enjoying the sunshine.

So this is probably what happened  >>> from the buyers and not your perspective.

When you send a bank funded Instant Transfer payment, two things happen simultaneously:

- PayPal sends a request to your bank for the funds for the transaction. It takes 3-7 business days for funds to come from your bank.

- PayPal pays the seller up front for you, instantly, so that the seller will not delay in processing your order.

When refund or cancellation occurs for that payment within a few days of it being sent, the funds that PayPal paid up front for you are returned.

However, the funds from your bank account are still in transit. They haven't reached your PayPal account yet.

As soon as those funds clear, they are available for you to use or withdraw.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

raeman
Contributor
Contributor
Why send a request to my bank if funds are in PayPal account? Why take so long? Glad you're enjoying the sun. Winter here in Scotland. Brrrrrr. 😀
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@raeman

You didn't read the bit where i said the below was from the BUYERS perspective and NOT yours.

The BUYER must have funded their paypal payment from their bank account....................it takes a while to process to paypal............ but paypal credit YOU in advance and they wait for the buyers payment to pay them back again.

If the refund is done within a few days of the transaction then YOU refund (paypals credited funds) BUT the buyers initial payment has not cleared from their bank account.

When it arrives at paypal (as you have refunded PAYPALS CREDITED MONEY) >  the buyers payment is credited to his balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

raeman
Contributor
Contributor
Oh. Ok. Sorry. Thanks for the info. 😀
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.