NIGERIA SCAM EMAIL ADDRESS

fruitshoot88
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I posted an item on Gumtreee and received an email from 'Greg Abel 'saying he  was interested in buying.

I replied informing it was still available at 65pounds, he then offered 90pounds and asked me to post.

I was immediately dubious as he offered so much so I didn't reply with my paypal address like he asked.

When i asked were to post to 'confirm' this was my reply...

I am sending it to my younger brother who is working in  one construction company in that country so you will help me to send the package to him but we are both the citizen of United Kingdom (Glasgow ).

City : Abeokuta
State: Ogun State
Zip Code: 23403

So get back to me with your paypal email address so that payment can be make on time..........

As you can uderstand I have replied saying I will not ship to Nigeria, and if the above contacts me again I will make moves to have the email account de-activated.

Other things to make me believe it was a scam, was were that they haven't used anywere near the correct grammer and they felt the need to state they were UK citizens.

Be aware of replies from            abelgreg24(AT)yahoo(DOT)co(DOT)uk

wouldnt allow me to contain the symbols of above address

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

PayPal_barry

Hey there, moving you here as this thread has exactly the same issue. Please read over the posts and contribute more if you wish.

Login to Me Too

owenjones6162
Contributor
Contributor

that is exactly what i had today,luckily i checked with ebay and paypal before i send the item,now reading this i feel great

Login to Me Too

kimandcarl
Contributor
Contributor

Ive been getting emails about a watch i am selling on gumtree, they offered me up to 60 over the asking price. The grammar and english is terrible.

They told me it would be shipping to theyre workplace in scotland, and then once i gave my email for paypay payment they said ship to nigeria (because they are on a business trip). now they have sent me the money and ive got the 'Payment confirmation' email but i dont want to post to nigeria? how do i give them theyre money back?

the email addressesdiffer from the ones posted here: sandrawill43(at)yahoo and verajohnson(at)blumail and the person talks like a guy even though the email addresses have clearly got female names, postal address is similar to the one you posted. Address:28,Lucina Joseph Street
City:Surulere
State:Lagos

Login to Me Too

fruitshoot88
Contributor
Contributor

Well I would be very wary if you contact PayPal they should be better at sorting it out for you but you can refund the money to their account (usually its under the received bit of a payment).

If you explain to them what you received i.e to deliver to after they had paid then see what paypal can do .

Good luck

Login to Me Too

kimandcarl
Contributor
Contributor

Ive just got this email after not posting the item like they requested, and after getting 5 emails asking for the consignment number:

This is to notify you that fund has been made available to your account from Vera Johnson Any failure to respond to this notification you will be liable to a fine of £2000:00 GBP. Also your account will be BLOCKED in line with PayPal New Anti Fraud Policy.

**ATTENTION: PAYPAL ANTI FRAUD POLICY**

You are hereby authorized to deliver this item to the buyer and forward the recorded delivery number of the  item in next 24hours to us for verification and to  enable PayPal Accounts Review  Department to credit this fund to your account.

Please do not go against Pay Pal Anti Fraud policy, as you will be liable to a fine of £2000:00 GBP for doing so
Login to Me Too

fruitshoot88
Contributor
Contributor

I would still get in touch with paypal, after reading up online after I thought I was being scammed said they often use fake paypal messages and fake ebay messages.

Report it and good luck!!!

Login to Me Too

damilare05

that just happened to me i was thinking something was dodgy about it aswell so i  called up paypal but it was a close call i was about to send it

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

I have never heard of a PayPal Anti Fraud policy and I am sure that the email was not sent by PayPal. If you don't mind, can you please forward the email you received to spoof@paypal.com and then delete the email from your inbox.

I would also advise that you stop communicating with the person who is trying to purchase the item from you. Any time an item is sold, we would advise you when the payment has been completed and you will always see the payment in your PayPal account (even if it was placed on hold). We would never ask you to post the item before receiving the funds in to your PayPal account.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

Brian1295
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

None of those emails actually come from Paypal !!

Always check email address in your mail box and NOT just the display name.

A lot of fraud address are soem rubbish like   paypal at hotmail dot com etc etc

Always check in the Paypal account by logging in and remember that if an advertisment is responded to immediately , this is unusual for the most part and also that any of the usual crazy stuff is most likely a scam, for example:

guys away from home wanting to buy..

away at sea

paying too much

threatening email

buying a car without seeing it

asking for personal info

Anything from nigeria or other obvious countires that are not supported

ALWAYS LOGIN to you Paypal account and do not rely on email responses !!!!

Best regards

Brian

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Thanks a lot for those tips Brian. If you'd like to see more information on spoof emails and security tips, please follow these steps:

1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk

2. Click 'Safety Advice' at the bottom of any PayPal webpage.

3. Click 'Safety Tools'.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.