How to ensure buyer from Gumtree is site is genuine and pays correctly via Paypal

Bhup
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've received an offer for some furniture I advertised on Gumtree from a buyer who says they are willing to purchase via Paypal without viewing.  I've read various articles on this possibly being a scam and needed advice on how to proceed with requesting Paypal payment to confirm this is a genuine buyer.  Email below from buyer.

"Great! please consider them sold and i want you to remove the advert as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy them for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it. Unfortunately i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?"

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bhup

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often offer you a generous price or don't quibble re cost.

They never want to view the item.

You will get a FAKE paypal email that tells you If the item requires shipping that they will pay you extra and you must pay the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bhup

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often offer you a generous price or don't quibble re cost.

They never want to view the item.

You will get a FAKE paypal email that tells you If the item requires shipping that they will pay you extra and you must pay the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.