paypal gumtree disputes

bristol1234

Hi,

I have just sold an expensive tea set. The buyer wanted to use paypal for the protection and I was keen to recieve funds now rather than in a weeks time when we were both free to meet. I have since learnt that without proof of delivery I am open to be ripped off. I have raised this with them and suggested I post for my own safety howver they have responded saying they would really rather collect as its an expesive, delicate item that could quite likely get damged in transit. They have suggested to mark the item as recived on their paypal account during collection, would this cover me against a claim of item not recieved?

Also how does an SNAD claim work on a gumtree add? If a buyer was to send me money for an item without me invoicing them with a thorough description of what they are buying, eg a payment with a note on it saying "tea set",  does this vagueness put the buyer at a disadvantage as the seller can send them any old tea set, or the seller becuae the buyer can easily claim its not the right tea set.

I would imagine the right thing for me as the seller to do is send an invoice with the reference number of the gumtree ad, however you can totally edit a gumtree ad at any point (title, descrition, pictures) and as far as I am aware it does not show on the webpage that its been edited. So whats to stop sellers editing the description after the sale is made and presenting the newly edited gumtree page as proof their item was correctly described? 

So sorry for the may questions and long winded post. Id be very grateful for any helpful answers.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bristol1234

You have ZERO seller protection for items that are collected.

The only time you have seller protection in the case of an item not received dispute is if you provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer.

Does marking as recieved void your right to claim item not recieved?

No.

As for SNAD no one can second guess paypals decision. But ''normally'' as disputes are one persons word against anothers they tend to favour the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery before you have to refund.

Personally I would prefer to wait a bit longer for my cash and have it in hand and no fee but thats your call.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bristol1234

Why are you bothering with paypal for an item that is to be collected?

Cash on collection is the way to go and then the buyer can't file a dispute, you get cash in hand and no paypal fee !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bristol1234

Thankyou for your reply.

Both me and the buyer seem to be busy over the next week with Christmas coming up. It seemed reasonable that the buyer wanted to secure the item by paying it for it now and I was keen to recieve payment asap. 

Ideally I plan to continue selling and buying on Gumtree to avoid the ridiculous Ebay fees as well as their contemptuous treatment of all sellers who are assumed criminals without the chance to contest anything. Its quite likely and reasonable that some people will offer to pay though paypal and have me post them the item and visa versa with me buying. Most will be honest people but its possible I will come across some less trust worthy. In preparation of that it seems sensible to me to try and understand my rights and how to successfully protect myself.

Are you able to answer any of my questions? I have spoken on the phone to customer services and the only information I was given was the standard stuff I could of found out by reading the paypal website. 

What information do paypal look at when reviewing SNAD disputes from Gumtree? Is it the description in the invoice thats key, or the description on the Gumtree ad page?

Whats to stop people editing the Gumtree ad and presenting that as evidence in a dispute?

Or, despite what I was told repetedly on the phone to paypal, is it a case of whatever the situation the seller is ignored and the buyer wins by default?

Any answering of questions would be highly appreciated. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bristol1234

You have ZERO seller protection for items that are collected.

The only time you have seller protection in the case of an item not received dispute is if you provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer.

No.

As for SNAD no one can second guess paypals decision. But ''normally'' as disputes are one persons word against anothers they tend to favour the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery before you have to refund.

Personally I would prefer to wait a bit longer for my cash and have it in hand and no fee but thats your call.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.