Having issues recieving debit/credit card payments via guest checkout when customers get to Paypal

theunlockingco
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some valuable helpful answers from any members or Paypal employees as I have been trying to no avail so far.

I own TheUnlockingCompany.com, we unlock phones for other carriers. Been doing it a long time, very good reputation, good relationship with Paypal. We rank in the top 3 biggest companies in the world in our industry.

Last 7-10 days i've been getting complaints about customers not being able to pay with card once they get to Paypal, via the guest checkout. Of course at first I thought maybe a simple glitch on my website or Paypal's side so I called Paypal and they said the account looked great as usual and it will probably go away on it's on.

Here we are about a week and a half later, going on 2 weeks, and still getting daily complaints of "I can't checkout using my card it's not working". Now I do hundreds of orders a week if not into the 4 figures and have been for 8 years now I so know the amount of errors that are normal, and when ther'es something wrong. I maybe got 1-2 complaints a week for years straight, wtih absolutely no changes. Now, the past almost 2 weeks I am looking at multiple multiple compltains a day as well as a dip in my sales due to this issue. Customers are the same, targeted audience they always have been.

So I've called Paypal 3 times now and of course nothing, account looks spotless. Finally after a couple weeks of testing with the customers, asking what they're cards, what they're banks are, having them try different cards, banks, browsers, etc. No one can give me a straight answer. For the first week or so myself and Paypal just assumed it was the card issue, something along the lines of insufficient funds, mismatching informatioin, possible fraud detection, you know the normal stuff. Then I thought maybe an specific card issuer blacklisted me for some reason, or a bank, becaue I am in a "high risk" industry, but that's not the case either. The issue happens with all sorts of different cards, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc. but at the same rate I still get hundreds of sales from those cards and it is happening with different banks as well. There's no single bank/card issuer that cut me off. It's also not a specific country either, as it's all over the place, i've never had an issue with USA sales before until now.

So then I had my customers call their banks to see exactly what the reason was why the sale didn't go through, why they denied it. Well come to find out after a few days of inquiring with all my customers, their banks/card issues are saying it's PAYPAL that is denying the sale, and not them. So now i'm even more confused. I'm thinking a possible fraud detection or they don't like the details that the customer is ending into the Paypal guest checkout.

But what I don't get is how come I went from never having issues with "card not working" until 10-14 days ago when I all of a sudden started getting slammed with complaints. And it's not an issue with the Payment gateway or my website either as the customers are all getting roughly the same message. Of course I searched this to no luck either as yes some other people have rna into it but all I get is "oh just have the csutomer call the card issue i'm sure it's an easy issue to fix. Here is the message everyones getting (or a close varient".....

"Sorry, your transaction couldn’t be completed using (shows card issuer & last 4 digits). Continue with his new payment method or select another."

or

"The card you entered can not be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number."

I am hoping someone can give me some real answers here, hopefully a Paypal expert can givee me a little mokre information about what I can do. I own a large company including employees office large marketing overhead. Obviously things like this really hurt business as a lot of of customers will just leave an go somewher else. A lot of people prefer to use Guest check out with their card and not sign up for a Paypal account so this has been a pretty big issue when it comes to sales/revenue.

I appreicate absolutely any answers on this more than you will ever know. Thank you so much for reading all this and I hope to hear from you.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

theunlockingco
Contributor
Contributor

Note: I did notice when customers did complain, they said they couldn't get it to work with ANY of their cards. Was never the case where a customer complained about one card, and then tried another and it worked. Again furthering the assumption it's not a specific card issuer or bank, but Paypal stopping the order due to the customers personal information. But they've also made it very clear that they hade more than enough funds in the cards, personal information matched, and they've used the card many times before with no problems....

So - the longer this goes on the more I feel - did Paypal change their default settings on who can buy and who can't? Did they change their filters? Their fraud detection? Anything in the last 7-14 days? Everytime I call them they say it's nothing to do with my presonal account.

HELP!

Login to Me Too

theunlockingco
Contributor
Contributor

If any Paypal Experts read this:

I think I found out the solution. Every person that experienced this issue have all had used different cards, banks, browsers, different countries, etc. Except for ONE thing I just realized. ...

They have all been on MOBILE phones trying to purchase. If they try again on a computer, it works fine. I even just found a customer who confirmed, 12 days ago they purchased via mobile and it worked fine - they tried again today via mobile, and it didn't work. (as i mentioned before it's an issue that's around 7-10 days old)

So my question is - Has Paypal experienced any issues like this? Are there any other Tickets like this?

I'd like to know if this is an issue with Paypal or my specific website.

Thank you again.

Login to Me Too

theunlockingco
Contributor
Contributor

What's the point of these forums if no one including moderators don't help/answer?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.