Fraud on gumtree

thewhitewater
New Community Member

I listed my phone on GUMTREE and one lady called Sarah Williams contacted with me. She gave me her PayPal address and I send her money request via PayPal. Next day, I received few emails from PayPal saying that they have received the money. Now I need to dispatch the phone. I was at work at that time, I asked my nephew to dispatch the phone to Nigeria he instead got only hand written postage proof from the post office. When I came back from my work, I logged in my PayPal account. I was shocked to see, there was no money. Miss Sarah Williams sent me fake emails and I lost the phone and the money. I have nowhere to go and seek any sort of help. I don’t think that even PayPal can help me.

Secondly, I purchased a laptop from a guy. I paid him £100 via PayPal. He was a proper thug, he never posted anything and I reported PayPal on next working day. My money is stuck and I don’t know what is going to be the outcome. I don’t know if I use online transactions or....?

Any good suggestions

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_paula

Hi thewhitewater, 

Firstly let me start by saying I do regret to hear that you have had to experience this. When you receive a payment in to PayPal and PayPal has decided to hold the payment for any reason you will see the payment being received and you will also see the payment listed as held. If you do not see this it means that you have not been paid. As no payment came through PayPal there is no option for PayPal to take action. I would report the person to the website that you listed your item and also send any emails received portraying to be from PayPal to the following email address spoof@paypal.com. I would also advise that you contact your local trading standards office to see if  they can offer any assistance. 

In relation to your purchase of the laptop. If you have a case opened your seller will be requested to provide a valid online tracking number to confirm delivery of the item to you. If they can not provide this information the case will be found in your favour. If you do not have a case opened already please go to your Resolution Centre and open one for non receipt of an item. 

I do hope this helps

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.