Does this sound strange to you?

armoureddrummer
New Community Member

I am selling an item on Gumtree (it is listed for sale or swap) and this person has contacted me. I have copied the email string below - does this seem worrying/scamlike to you? I also googled the yahoo address provided initially and that got a similar thing where he is trying to buy a car under a different name (see link I have put at bottom of this) - ps start from the bottom and work your way up:

On 27 June 2012 17:43, Gerrard <amjocool [at] yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hi
Am from Liverpool and i want this as a gift for my son,am not at home right now to email you the address but am surely know that paypal would contact you with address as soon you receive instant funds from paypal as the address already confirm with PayPal before.
Kindly....email me your paypal details now so i can deopsit the funds into your account
PAYPAL FULL NAME:-----
PAYPAL EMAIL:--------------
Thanks
Gerrard

--- On Wed, 27/6/12, Chris Hart <my email address was here> wrote:

Subject: Re: Xoom
To: amjocool [at] yahoo.co.uk
Date: Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, 15:05

Where are you wanting it shipped to?

Chris

On Jun 27, 2012 12:17 PM, "Gerrard Jones" <gerradj45 [at ] gmail.com> wrote: - note the change of address here

Hi,
Good to read back from you i will like to offer you £300 for this item including shipping i offer you the amount because of the postage and paypal fees. send me your paypal full name and email, if you don't have paypal account you simply register your paypal account at www.paypal.co.uk for instant payment because paypal protect both buyer and seller and its easy to transfer funds into seller account and I will make the payment immediately (including shipping Via Royalmail) Because i want it as a gift for my son.
Kindly....email me your paypal details now so i can deposit the funds into your account
PAYPAL FULL NAME:------
You can also contact me on +447024027679
Waiting to read back from you
Gerrard

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Chris Hart <my email address was here> wrote:
Hi,
My final price would be £270.00. It comes with case, charger, usb cable and original box.
I am ideally looking for a swap for a high spec netbook or small laptop.
I have attached some quick photos taken with my phone just now. If you are interested and want better photos I can do this tomorrow night. I am in bed just now!
Chris

On 26 June 2012 23:39, Gerrard <amjocool [at] yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hi,

what condition and how much is your final asking price ?

How many items do you have forsale again ?

I will like you to send me Picture of this item with your reply to my email

Hope to read back from you

Gerrard 

--- On Tue, 26/6/12, Chris Hart <my email address was here> wrote:

Subject: Xoom
To: amjocool [at] yahoo.co.uk
Date: Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, 17:01

Yes I still have the Motorola xoom.

Chris

The link I mentioned above - http://forum.streetwagons.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15749

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

amy123
New Community Member

Yes it does sound strange, i have just had an email off this person and i thought it sounded fishy, so i googled his email address and this thread came up.

Login to Me Too

joshnosh
Contributor
Contributor

"if you don't have paypal account you simply register your paypal account at www.paypal.co.uk for instant payment because paypal protect both buyer and seller and its easy to transfer funds into seller account and I will make the payment immediately"

100% fake

you would not say this  unless you copyed and pasted it to loads off people

Login to Me Too

katmabel
New Community Member

I have had the same e-mail, thought it sounded dodgy so googled it and came to this. Let's all avoid him!

Login to Me Too

Jonahtron
New Community Member

Hi- i just signed up to the booards as I found this thread googling also

I have the exact same message;

Hi,
Good to read back from you i will like to offer you £330 for this item including shipping i offer you the amount because of the postage and paypal fees. send me your paypal full name and email, if you don't have paypal account you simply register your paypal account at www.paypal.co.uk for instant payment because paypal protect both buyer and seller and its easy to transfer funds into seller account and I will make the payment immediately (including shipping Via Royalmail) Because i want it as a gift for my son.
Kindly....email me your paypal details now so i can deposit the funds into your account
PAYPAL FULL NAME:------
You can also contact me on +447024027679
Waiting to read back from you
Gerrard
it does seem odd.
but paypal DOES protect us right?
in cases like this isnt it best to withdraw the paypal funds before posting, or are we agreeing to ignore him?
Login to Me Too

natmyers
New Community Member

Captain Gerrard is trying to buy my MacBookPro for his son too! I'm going to send him a disposeable email address and see what happens...

Login to Me Too

boo89
New Community Member

I just received an identical email from him in reply to my listing on gum tree for an engagement ring. I knew it was fishy and considering every reply I've had from gumtree (around 9 so far) have been scammers I wasn't to surprised to find this page. A little advice to people!! If someone tries to con you by saying pay pal will hold the fees until you issue them with a tracking number they ARE 100% trying to scam you. They send fake ''payment confirmed'' email's to you stating they paid and the money is being held from an unauthorised paypal email address. Don't fall for it!!! They all want you to send things to Nigeria, aparently for brothers or sons etc...as a gift (who buys an engagement ring for their son as a birthday present I'd like to know).  If you want to know whether someone has actually paid you for an item either meet them in person or check your paypal account by opening a new link and logging in to paypal where you will see if any money has been paid to you. The nerve of these people!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.