extortionate fees

Epaminondas
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal fees for sellers- a bit of a rip off, aren't they?!

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Epaminondas

Well they are clearly stated so if you think that you don't have to sell on ebay.

But to be honest as a buyer I would only use a seller that offered paypal so i had buyer protection.

Therefore as a seller that offers it as well I probably get more bidders / buyers that more than offset the fees than if I sold elsewhere.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Epaminondas
Contributor
Contributor

And your point is ..that I don't have an alternative choice if I want to sell succesfully ? Sure, but a rather superfluous explanation. It still doesn't justify the fact that it's a bit of a rip off. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Epaminondas

I didn't say it was an explanation, you put your opinion as a seller and I put mine.

You were the one that asked this question >>

a bit of a rip off, aren't they?!

So my point is that I was answering your question with my own answer as a seller.

I don't think its a rip off. Did you only want folks to post that agree with you?

If so then you should have said.

eg if i sold on another site (which i have) and made £10 for an item with ZERO fees BUT

sold on ebay and made £15 and then pay a fee then I would prefer to pay the fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JaeSwift
Contributor
Contributor

They are definitely a rip off. I have sold an Xbox One recently with games for £380 with £16 postage... They took my postage in fees and now want £40 in seller fees.... £56 to sell my xbox? Ridiculous. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JaeSwift

What is ridiculous is that the Fees on BOTH sites are clearly listed and yet you carried on listing your item without presumably checking first?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JaeSwift
Contributor
Contributor

I needed a quick sale, Ebay knows that people wanting a quick and easy sale will pay their extortionate fees so why would they remove them or knock them down? They will only ever go up. I obviously didn't mind paying them if I sold there but that doesn't mean they aren't daft priced.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JaeSwift

Try selling in a ''real'' auction house, costs are much higher.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JaeSwift
Contributor
Contributor

I'll just go gumtree in future and cut out the middleman 

Login to Me Too

Epaminondas
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

For a volunteer, you're a bit aggressive. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.