Help, being scammed by buyer!!!

WorriedSeller12
New Community Member

I sold an item in Dec 2015, but after I had posted the item the buyer said they didn't want it any more, I informed them that the item had already been posted so there was nothing I could do. I didnt hear anything from the buyer for two months then in Feb 16 the buyer did a chargeback saying that they hadn't authorised the funds. Clearly they had as they would have had to enter their paypal password and they knew they had authorised it otherwise they wouldn't have emailed me asking to cancel it. Stupidly I only keep my reciepts for a couple of weeks after I have posted them as I've never had any issues like this before. Paypal has just sent me an email saying they've taken the funds out of my account plus £14.00 for the chargeback because I can't provide proof of postage. I have sent them the emails between myself and the buyer and the paypal email saying she had paid in Dec. I also have my bank statment saying the amount of postage on the day in Dec when I posted it. I called payapl today and they said it is still being disputed even though it says case closed. What do I do now? Clearly the buyer has the bag and is trying to shaft me for money and keep the bag!!!!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WorriedSeller12

Gosh i keep tracking info up to a year !!!

In the event of an unauthorised dispute IF paypal find in favour of the buyer then they get their money back BUT you would be reimbursed if you met ALL the requirements of seller protection. Unfortunately if you can't provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer or at least that you posted it then you won't have met that seller protection criteria whatever emails you have.

And it sounds as if it was a chargeback rather than unauthorised payment as that is made via a buyers credit card company and they make the decision and if you lose then you pay their fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.