Fraud!!

p7390
Contributor
Contributor

i was recently selling and ipod in ebay buy it now for £50 or for people to bid on it and someone called Nicolas Bennard bought it for £50 he did'nt put the payment into my paypal account so i emailed him asking if he still wanted it and he said yes he sent me and email saying this:

Hello,
         It is my pleasure to inform you that I have carried out the payment of £90.00 via PayPal. I want it  to be sent to my cousin AS A birthday gift. I would have asked you to post it to my eBay address in United Kingdom, but I've gone for a business trip to Brazil,here is the delivery address. netbook acer espires one

NICOLAS DAVID
17 Oduduwa street
GRA Ikeja,
Lagos State
Nigeria.

Then after that i got and email saying payment has been approved please send us prove of payment. It said i had to send the item off and then send paypal the tracking number to prove that the item was on it's way then they would transfer the money into my paypal account so i sent off the item and sent the tracking number to paypal and the money still did'nt go in so i emailed the person 'nicolas bennard' and told him i had sent the item off and the money still wasnt in and i got an email back saying

hello thanks have you send the tracking number to paypal if so you have to be patient but for your security purpose do not send the tracking number to me on till paypal credit your account and paypal will send the tracking number to me thanks.

so i then emailed back saying no i want it in my account now i will report you and i hav'nt herd anything back from him since then.

i want something done about this aswell it sould'nt be aloud all the paypal emails he sent me had paypal head lines aswell it looked like paypal accounts.
Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

cherry_kiwi
Contributor
Contributor

I would have waited until the payment was in my account before posting anything, otherwise things like this will happen...

Login to Me Too

bbjj
New Community Member

I've just had exactly the same email.

I was selling an iphone 3gs for 250, they said they would pay me 280  to ship it to his son as a birthday present in Nigeria.

This is my 1st sell on ebay and 1st time using paypal. When I'm on my paypal account, it doesnt say that theres money pending to come in, which I thought it would.

When I've got emails off payal before its had a green bagde next to the name to say its paypal, the emails I've recieved saying payment has gone through, does not have this green badge. Shall I not send?

Login to Me Too

khushdil
Contributor
Contributor

Be careful.This is a scam.NEVER SEND ANY THING TO NIGERIA.

And never entry to your paypal acount form the mail.Just entry from proply website.I was lost like that some armani jacket and 300 pounds.

If you receive money from some buyer,so always you receive mail from Paypal,and you can see on your paypal account receive money.

And REMEMBER THAT PAYPAL ALWAYS SEND MAILS WHEN TELL HELLO....AND YOUR NAME AND SURNAME.

Paypal always know who are you,and scamers send mails with just e-mail adres...

Regards 

Login to Me Too

bradleyp99
New Community Member

i just recently got one of these kind of things too, but the person said send it too cornwall, and now his address has suddenly changed to south africa , seems a bit fishy too me, this is the person who sent me the email; was like called clearing fund consultant? but there was also someones gmail account there too?

is this a fraud? :S thanks in advance

Login to Me Too

khushdil
Contributor
Contributor
Love.Dont trust this person,who like send something to Africa.The first send item just to address witch have in paypal.And second never send item if you dont see that you have money on paypal account. I have this the same.Whe I was start to sell on e-buy.And receive scam mails from paypal-but no was pay pal. There tell me that my money are in paypal account.I need send item give to hime tracking number and then after 72 hours my money will be send from paypal to my account. SO THIS IS NOT TRUE. IF YOU RECEIVE PAYMENT SO MONEY YOU CAN SEE CLEAR PAYMENT ON YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT.. ANd remember,if you dont sure to something,always send a question to paypal ,just like that you can care your money,. Hugs.
Login to Me Too

pine_alom
New Community Member

Yes FRAUD!! I got a similar message. I had an iPad for sale on ebay and buyer, one fabiancoleq4_4 purchased the item. He wanted me to ship to a UK address initially then he asks for a papal money request which I foolishly sent and I guess he obtained my email address from there and sent me an email directly saying he had made a payment to my paypal account. I logged on directly to Paypal and didn't see a payment in my account only for me to see an email from service at paypal dot co dot uk with clearingfundconsultant at consultant dot com as the actual email address it was sent from, saying a payment had been made. I immediately realised it was fraudulent and will be reporting to ebay and paypal. Its ridiculous the lengths these fraudsters go to make money off of unsuspecting folks. Its truly sad. We all need to be smart and aware.

Login to Me Too

kaci81
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I advertised some kids arsenal shoes on Gumtree and last night an 'Angela Jones' sent me an email asking if they were still available. I told her that they were and so she sent me the following email:

Thanks,i want you to know that am really interested buying your gumtree item.Am new to these online stuff,and am not in the country at the moment am in Vienna for an official assignment ,I will be glad if you can help me ship it down to my daughter whom school overseas for her Birthday Gift,i am ready to pay you 40 pounds for the item cost including the shipping cost via First Class Royal Mail International and i will prefer paying you via PayPal,so do get back to me with your PayPal email for the instant payment or you sign up for a PayPal personal account at WWW.PAYPAL.COM. I look forward in hearing from you.

I didn't question it as i have never sent anything overseas or received money through paypal. I then got another email from this person:

Hi Kerri,i have made the payment and i want you to ship the Arsenal Shoes  out asap to the PayPal confirmed address,am sure the customer care might have reached you.Do get back to me after shipment.Once again these is  the shipping address,don't forget i want the item shipped via First Class Royal Mail International.

Name:Dare Brown,
Address:No 34 Asajon Street,
             Sango-Tedo,
              Lekki-Epe Express Way,
              Ajah,
              Lagos,
              Nigeria,

I have also received an email from 'paypa'l (which only addressed me with my email and not my full name as it should)saying they had paid the money into my account but i need to enter tracking/reference number so that payment will be released. I checked my account to see if the money was in there but couldnt find anything which i found odd. I contated Paypal via email and they told me to go to resolution centre and enter the transaction id but there was no such number. Also when i looked at emails from 'paypal' there was no green shield to say that it was a trusted sender.

So after all of this i have decided not to send the parcel. I am glad that i realised in time that this was a scam.

Login to Me Too

JohnE90
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me BUT I was smart enought to notice that the "official" paypal email actually came from "clearingfundsconsultant"  Seriously, CLEARINGFUNDS

Here is the email that I received from this person:

Plz take no offense as USPS EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL IS MY PREFERENCE (priority mail express) is my preference,I will be glad to find a favor from you if you can write a short note on it with Happy Birthday in Advance, love from Dad.NOTE, KINDLY WRITE on the parcel"PERSONAL GIFT ITEM FOR PRIVATE USE.

Hi,
Thank you for notifying me about the item i won..I just want to inform you that i have paid a sufficient amount of money for the shipment to the below address,and it has been deducted from my account.So i want you to ship the item asap,because the item is meant to be a Birthday gift item for my son.I would have sent it myself but i am out of town for an due to my work condition.And i want you to send the item very fast so that it can get there on time because i want him to receive it ASAP.That was why i have Paid for fast shipment to his place through USPS EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL IS MY PREFERENCE(priority mail express).Below is the shipping address confirmed on my paypal payment that i made while sending the payment on my paypal for this purchase as my desired shipping address.I have fill in the below shipping shipping address on my paypal payment for
confirmation..
Name : J Ola
Street :52 St Georges road,
City :Southernwood,
State :East London.
Post Code: 5201
South Africa

Yeah, trying to sucker punch you by making your write some fake person happy birthday, got to love these creative scammers, huh?

Login to Me Too

kat75ramos
New Community Member

i got the same email, i was so dumb to send the item! its my first time selling and he got me! i wish ive done research on the address first. this is how i found out it was fraud, now im trying to locate the item in south africa, just wish me luck!

Hi,
Thank you for notifying me about the item i won..I just want to inform you that i have paid a sufficient amount of money for the shipment to the below address,and it has been deducted from my account.So i want you to ship the item asap,because the item is meant to be a Birthday gift item for my son.I would have sent it myself but i am out of town due to my work condition.And i want you to send the item very fast so that it can get there on time because i want him to receive it ASAP.That was why i have Paid for fast shipment to his place through USPS First-Class Mail International IS MY REFERENCE(priority mail express).Below is the shipping address confirmed on my Paypal payment that i made while sending the payment on my Paypal for this purchase as my desired shipping address.I have fill in the below shipping address on my Paypal payment for confirmation..
Shipping Adress:
Name :Oludare M
Street :52,st Georges road,
City :Southernhood,
State :East London.
Post Code: 5201
Plz take no offense as USPS First-Class Mail International IS MY PREFERENCE priority mail express) is my preference, I will be glad to find a favour from you if you can write a short note on it with Happy Birthday in Advance, love from Dad.NOTE, 
KINDLY WRITE on the parcel"PERSONAL GIFT ITEM FOR PRIVATE USE.
Many Regards.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.