Buyer requested a Return but no response from them after 1 week

pmkin
Contributor
Contributor

I received a very low offer from a buyer for a piece of Regency/Victorian jewellery which was correctly listed as having very worn hallmarks (but item was tested for being at least 9ct gold), I sent a much higher counter offer (virtually the scrap value) which they immediately accepted; all fine so far. Item was sent out the same day Special Delivery (not cheap), but not collected by the buyer for 2 days. Immediately after receiving it (I know this from checking the recorded time of delivery to the time the dispute was opened) they requested a return on the basis that the item was not gold. I messaged them explaining that we do test such items, but would accept the return at which point a refund would be made for the item, and on again retesting it if it proved not to be gold then the return postage would also be refunded. Buyer was asked to return signed for and message with tracking details. They responded immediately to say that they would. I did ask them why they believed that it was not gold, but they did not respond to that; my impression that it was a case of buyer's regret.

Despite a message sent to the buyer a few days later just confirming what we'd agreed more than a week passed and nothing from the buyer, so another message was sent asking them if they had decided after all to keep it, but no response. 10 days following the opening of the return request I decided to contact Ebay via on-line chat. This was less than useful as the only advice that was given was to telephone the buyer and discuss my questions with them. That is one thing I would not do as unlike communicating via the Resolution centre there is no record of the exchange.

In the interim the funds are frozen, not a problem, but what is Paypal's likely action if the buyer continues to fail to communicate or return the item?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

tstark1986
Contributor
Contributor

If the buyer fails to return the item, the held balance will be automatically restored back to you. They have to send it back to you via recorded delivery in order to be awarded a refund; and for reference, if it is a case of buyer's regret, then that isn't covered by PayPal's Buyer Protection, so if they fail to communicate or fail to send back the item, then you have nothig to worry about 😉

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmkin

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for new sellers.
If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.

So if the buyer opened an Ebay dispute then you would need to read their policy on disputes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pmkin
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Kernowlass,
Many thanks for the prompt response. I'm far from being a new seller, have been selling for 11 years and sales will run into 1000 +, but 'disputes' I could count on the fingers of one hand and have always been resolved quickly and amicably. So if I understand correctly Paypal will not refund to the buyer unless Ebay instruct them to?
Login to Me Too
Solved

tstark1986
Contributor
Contributor

If the buyer fails to return the item, the held balance will be automatically restored back to you. They have to send it back to you via recorded delivery in order to be awarded a refund; and for reference, if it is a case of buyer's regret, then that isn't covered by PayPal's Buyer Protection, so if they fail to communicate or fail to send back the item, then you have nothig to worry about 😉

Login to Me Too

pmkin
Contributor
Contributor
tstark1986 ... Very many thanks for that, those were the very same questions (as well as who is responsible for return postage in case of it again testing to be gold, which would be videod and posted on the resolution centre, so buyer's regret) which the Ebay chat session failed to provide any answers to.
Login to Me Too

Jac23
Contributor
Contributor

If the claim was open through ebay, Paypal will need to wait for the go signal from ebay if ever the decision is to process a refund . But if the claim is through paypal then , paypal will take care of the refund base on thier own policy.

If proven that the buyer intentionally lie  of what is the real reason why they will be returning the item back then you are not oblige to process a refund for the item and return  shipping . But it depends in you if you will process a refund for the items price and just keep the item , but as far as the return shipping cost is concern, you dont have to refund them. 

You can even send the item back to the buyer if you want to ,but then again you'll pay for the shipping once more. 

For remorse return or simply they just did not like it , according to ebay's policy , if they want to return it , they should shoulder the return shipping cost .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.