Why is PayPal siding with scammers?!!!

Temp20240110
Contributor
Contributor
I purchased clothing and used PayPal to pay. The items did not work do I requested a return label from the company. I placed the label on the package and took it to my local post office…upon tracking I discovered that the package was confiscated by the postal service and is now their property because the label the company provided me with was counterfeit. I provided PayPal with the tracking number so they can clearly see the message from the postal service and they still insist on waiting for a response from the company like I was the one who did something wrong. You’re better off taking your chances by using your credit card number versus going through PayPal…they clearly don’t back up their customers. Is it just me? It’s like PayPal is saying I’m the scammer!!!
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20240110 

If you didn't raise a dispute for item received but not as described then anything else is between you and the merchant to resolve.

If you did raise a claim and won then the onus is on you to send the item back with tracking and provide paypal with confirmation its back with the seller before you get a refund.

Not sure a tracking number that does not show that will work.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

stevelauri

PayPal does not even give the correct options in the Resolution Center to report a Scam. When I tried to report a Scammer it was next to impossible to find any of their options they give you to even remotely fit the situation. 

When I did figure out how to report it, the Scammer just sent an empty envelope to another address in my city with a tracking number and claimed they shipped my product. PayPal immediately paid the scammer without contacting me at all.  I had to do all of the research to find out what happened. PayPal did nothing. PayPal said I could get documentation from the Post Office confirming the Tracking number was not to my address. Now they just say the Case is closed and cannot be re-opened. 

All of PayPal's claims of Security are false and are there to make you think your transaction are secure. PayPal is happily making money off of the Scammers transactions, so they are not motivated to stop them or refund your money. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stevelauri 

Paypal safely transfers your payment to your chosen seller. They do not guarantee anything.

They give you some buyer and some seller protection. As both parties are Paypals customers then they are the middlemen and have to make judgment calls. Sometimes seller loses out and sometimes the buyer. You need to risk assess your own purchases and do any leg work to help paypal try and recover your funds for you. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @stevelauri and @kernowlass

Thanks for stopping by the PayPal Community; welcome, @stevelauri!

I'm sorry to hear that you have not received a refund yet, even after gathering additional information from your post office. If you'd like to learn more about what PayPal's Purchase Protection Policy covers, I recommend visiting our Help Center here as well as our Legal Agreements page. As you have new documentation that shows the tracking number was not delivered to your address, please reach back out to Customer Support and request that an appeal be filed. I apologize that this has not been done already. You can review the different options for contacting Customer Support here

I hope you receive a refund soon! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.