Recieving Texts&Calls of One Time Codes when I wasn't logging in

Rodriquez0510
New Community Member
TLDR:: Scammers are trying to get you caught off guard to get access to your funds. Call & text simultaneously for you to almost be forced give them access. **Side note** I've noticed within this PayPal help community, there's been quite a worrisome amount of customers that are having security issues .... PayPal needs to get a hold of these things , it looks bad . I just received numerous texts & calls from 'paypal' with a one time code like whenever you have to verify yourself occasionally when attempting to log in. Funny thing is, I was not in the app or attempting to log in at that moment.... So 1. I receive a text message with code (I'm thinking wait, what?) 2. Literally right after, phone call which I ignore it right away. 3. Second text with a different code 4. About one minute goes by, phone call again. So, I answer & I don't say anything expecting them or the automated voice to talk first , but it's silent.(?) Ok??? I say hello, & a somewhat-automated somewhat-person begins saying "This is PayPal, & we have just received suspicious activity within your account. If this issue is not you please hang up. If not, Please use the dialer to ENTER the code sent by text message to verify account ownership" 5. I recieved the third text with a new code. [[ That's the best I remember of what I heard]] The only thing I said is " Um, no this sounds like a SUPER fraudulent call. Sounds like your a scammer. 6. Literally, the voice goes " Looks like there has been a service issue, goodbye" hangs up.. 7. Few minutes go by I recieve another new code but no phone call... LOL WHAT?!!! That's the funniest thing ever oh my-- anyways Anyways ..... Just sharing that was a new method I've ever known of. Pretty smart & pathetic also . Because if someone were let's say, running errands or at an event or at school or wherever & didn't have their full attention on the texts & phone call , someone would definitely fall for entering that code into the phone call & their account would be taken...
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_paula

Hi @Rodriquez0510 

Welcome to the PayPal community forum. 

Thank you for sharing what happened to you with us. This will no doubt help others. Fraudulent people are always finding new and innovative ways to defraud people. I will definitely note this one down as it sounds like an easy one to fall for and get targeted with. 

Thank you again, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.