Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
816 REPLIES 816

SuffolkOS
Contributor
Contributor

Just got this too (also work in IT so hope I can spot a scam!)- immediately thought scam but yes they are getting good - the email address looks exactly right which is what made me wonder if it was legit. I called the number and he told me to type in a url bhelp dot info which immediately waved massive red flags so I told him I was not going to do that and hung up.

Login to Me Too

tbonerascal
Contributor
Contributor

I just got the email with the information that I had an invoice for $699.99 for a transaction

I did not make. I called the phone number to report the problem and it was answered by

a foreign sounding individual (not an uncommon thing today). Very poor phone connection.

He told be to enter "Netstat"  and look for a name. I am usually smarter than that, I entered

Netstat and said there were no names. Phone line dropped. I am 87yo with a hearing problem

and I do not do well with foreign accents. So nothing further was accomplished, except he got my

phone number. Don't know if I should change my number.

Login to Me Too

loverat
Contributor
Contributor
I just got this as well. The first thing I do is check sender email and it's distressing this is appearing as being legitimately from PayPal. Seems they are rolling it out on a large scale.
Login to Me Too

PJoe17
New Community Member

I also received this email and called Paypal customer service (from the number on the website). It is indeed a scam but looks very legit.

I forwarded the email to phishing@paypal.com   So far it hasn't bounced back :  )

Hopefully if more of us do this, it will help.

Login to Me Too

Uruuk
New Community Member

Scam, email, fraud, invoice

Login to Me Too

bbmak0
Contributor
Contributor

Someone who I don't know sent me a money request this morning. The request is sent from Paypal and so the email address is legit. I just want to post the scam here to warn anyone and notify Paypal.

bbmak0_0-1660240273839.png

bbmak0_0-1660240483556.png

Login to Me Too

DSchramm
New Community Member

I received an email stating that PayPal has updated my invoice; Amount due $800 USD; click and pay.  I do not see this activity pending in my account.  This is a fraudulent invoice.  What do I need to do? Ignore the email?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DSchramm 

Forward the email to PayPal as instructed here:

How do I report potential fraud, spoof or unauthorized transactions to PayPal?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

tay_inn
Contributor
Contributor

Has anybody else been requested money from a Brian [removed] for his daughter for her trip to NYC? I have never met or heard from him and think it is a scam.

Login to Me Too

Annica_77
New Community Member

Never ever send money to anyone you do not know. Most of this are scam. Only send money to those you know and are doing business with, never ever a stranger who asks you for money or you do not know or not done business with. There is a lot scamming going on everywhere, so best thing to do is to bee extremely cautious this days so you do not get scammed and fooled.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.