Permanently limited account

Whybenormal2023
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve recently had my PayPal account permanently limited, I called their 1800 number and the associate that I spoke to was equally puzzled as to why my account had been permanently limited, days later I attempted to reach out through their facebook account and was told that for security reasons they couldn’t go into detail why the account was closed which is frustrating to say the least. No one can tell me why the account was frozen and if someone could at least do that I might understand, but the lack of answers makes me wonder if there is no reason. What is the best manner to contact PayPal so that I might get some answers?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Whybenormal2023 

Most common reasons for an account limitation are:-

1. You have a previously limited account (temporary or permanent) and you have tried to open a new account and not resolved the issues with the other account first.
2. Using a VPN.
3. Not living in the country where you opened your Paypal account.
4. Being under 18 / minor account.
5. Having 2 Paypal accounts or more of the same account type.
6. Not having your legal name on your Paypal account.
7. Selling items (often virtual or digital) that Paypal consider a high risk of disputes/chargebacks.
8. Using the friends/family option for sales transactions to try and evade Paypal fees and risk of disputes.
9. Too many disputes/claims.
10. Violating their acceptable use policy as per link.
https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/acceptableuse-full?locale.x=en_US

PayPal does review accounts regularly, and any concerns with security, violations of the User Agreement or Acceptable Use Agreement, compliance obligations, etc., could lead to a permanent restriction. Additional information beyond what would have been provided to you in a notification and/or email would not be available due also to security concerns and due to such information being proprietary....in other words they do not give you an exact reason, they just direct you to the user agreement or acceptable use policy. I guess having a reason wouldn't make any difference if they have permanently banned you.  😥

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whybenormal2023
Contributor
Contributor
Having looks over your list I do not see anything that I have done that would facilitate their banning my account, nor does PayPal seem willing to let me know for security purposes. Which sounds to me like they don’t know why. As I feel they are being deceptive I no longer feel my personal financial information is safe but am unable to delete it.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Whybenormal2023 

As I said those were the most common reasons, its not an exhaustive list.

Also as I said they do not give you an actual reason even if the call centre agent knew (which they probably wouldn't) as they don't make those decisions.  

You can't remove anything from the account unfortunately as paypal do not want you to open another account against their rules with any information linked to the limited paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.