Is this a potential scam?

dennycottle
New Community Member
Hello all, Thanks in advance for any advice! I posted that I was thinking about selling one of my guitars on Facebook, on my public timeline. Someone I don't personally know/don't know in real life expressed interest, so we discussed and arrived at a price of $800, including shipping. He says he doesn't have all the money right now, but would like to paypal me $400 today to hold the guitar, and the other $400 later, at which time I would ship him the guitar upon full complete payment. Since I don't know him personally and have no mutual friends with him, I am cautious. We are now fb friends and he does seem to have a real looking facebook profile (pictures of his kids, legitimate looking posts going years back, interactions and conversations that seem real with other people). Given these details, are there any circumstances that you can think of where I could be scammed? Is this the same underlying problem as the Nigerian Prince scam? How long from the time I receive the money in my PayPal acct before I would know that it is actually cleared by the bank? Thanks for weighing in on this. If there are other factors I've not considered, or other questions, please do let me know. Thanks, Denny
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.