How to check if someone used my email to make a paypal account?

liovalley
Contributor
Contributor

I use my hotmail as the primary for my paypal account without a secondary email.

My gmail received a request from a stranger from paypal. It greeted my email address (rather than my name), but hovering over external links seems to be legit (the paypal social media accounts). I forwarded it to the phishing email.

My question is how do I make sure someone didn't make an account using my gmail?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @liovalley,

Welcome to our community help forum and thanks for posting your question here!

I understand how receiving that email would be concerning to you. In a greeting, PayPal emails always use the customer's name. It's good to know that you have forwarded the email to PayPal to investigate it further. You can also view this article for more details on how to spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website

No need to worry! In PayPal, email address is the unique identifying characteristic to access your account. Each PayPal account is associated with a unique email address. If some one made an account using your email address, you will be notified via email and you can report the activity by following the steps listed here so we can help you to your email address from unknown PayPal account. 

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @liovalley,

Welcome to our community help forum and thanks for posting your question here!

I understand how receiving that email would be concerning to you. In a greeting, PayPal emails always use the customer's name. It's good to know that you have forwarded the email to PayPal to investigate it further. You can also view this article for more details on how to spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website

No need to worry! In PayPal, email address is the unique identifying characteristic to access your account. Each PayPal account is associated with a unique email address. If some one made an account using your email address, you will be notified via email and you can report the activity by following the steps listed here so we can help you to your email address from unknown PayPal account. 

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

liovalley
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Bindu! The link the unsolicited email is exactly what will put my mind at ease.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.