How do I block money requests

Carly-dunn1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I've got someone constantly asking for money via PayPal money request. How do I go about blocking this person from doing this please? Also how do I block from sending money to them and remove them from my personal PayPal account please?

Login to Me Too
66 REPLIES 66

mrterrific
Contributor
Contributor

I just received one of these.  I quickly realised it was a scam, but as others seem to feel, consider it outrageous that unsolicited money requests can come in from scammers and appear in your account.  Quite a lot of innocent people could be taken in by these (and I'm sure are) - especially as they come via paypal itself, making them appear legitimate!!!

Login to Me Too

Mjacobson
New Community Member
Not having the ability to block or report accounts that are fraudulent is a very good reason to stop using PayPal.
Login to Me Too

ajft
Contributor
Contributor

Not good enough!  We need a way to block requests from accounts that repeatedly ask for money, over and over and over again

Removing them as a contact does nothing to stop them continuing to ask for money

Login to Me Too

MushuM
I legit just got a “bill” from a company I’ve never heard of nor do I EVER use my PP account for purchases yet can’t block them or get rid of the fraudulent attempt to extort money. When I click to view the invoice I am not familiar with the company or the email address provided and the invoice says it’s for a “gaming headset.” I drive a semi I don’t have time or interest in gaming consoles or online gaming and can’t get in touch with anyone at PP to have the scammers blocked from the platform. I don’t share my account with anyone I don’t know and have now changed my settings so I can’t be found on a search! This is absurd to have no way to report a fraudulent invoice/bill and contact someone to report the fraud and attempted phishing scam!
Login to Me Too

dearjeff
Contributor
Contributor

I love paypal, but it would be so great if you guys found a way to block money requests. If I'm blocking someone in the first place, it means i don't want them to have any contact with me at all...including money requests. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Paypal on this thread recommending you change you email address?? Are they serious... rather than make this a feature, to be able to block all money requests they suggest you change you email address every time you get a bogus cash request? The more I deal with paypal the more i realise how flawed they are.

Login to Me Too

JohnnyB5
Contributor
Contributor

This is a serious issue, changing our email address is not going to solve it. I keep getting fake payment requests, two in the last hour each for £500 and quite obviously using generated email addresses and names.

The only option is to hit decline on the payment, which immediately sends them an email so they have proof they have a valid payment account and can keep sending request after request until someone accidentally hits the wrong button.

There should be a way to block payment requests from anyone not in your contact list - this seems like a fairly obvious piece of functionality.

Login to Me Too

LegalCat

I use PayPal to pay for online purchases and occasionally to receive money from people who want to send me some.  I never ever engage in any activity that would result in a legitimate money request, and I never will.  Anyone, anyone whatsoever, who sends me a money request is a scammer.  This usage pattern isn't universal, but I think it's pretty typical.  It's absolutely ludicrous that PayPal hasn't implemented a way for the gazillions of users like me to identify themselves to PayPal as people who just aren't in the money-request universe. 

It's nice, I suppose, that someone claiming to be a PayPal employee addressed this question, once in this entire thread, over two years ago.  What's considerably less nice is that the response was "we don't have that feature."  Yes, thanks, we knew that already.  That's exactly what we're complaining about.  We want you to ARRANGE to have the feature.  You know, by getting your coders to write some code.  For example, create a settings option that says "block all money requests," and then, when a money request arrives, check to see if its target has that option set, and if so, send the sender a little boilerplate email saying "that PayPal user has blocked all money requests" and ignore the request.  Honestly, how hard would that be?  

Login to Me Too

JayHades
Contributor
Contributor
The only way I found, which seems to be working so far, is to remove the search feature. My account doesn't show in searches anymore, and I am yet yo receive a money request since then I don't understand how a blocking requests option is hard to implement, but here we are.
Login to Me Too

CGAB
Contributor
Contributor

This doesn’t work as they don’t show up in the Contacts . This needs to be solved they shouldn’t be able to do this .It is requested via PayPal which I checked after I got an email from them . Now I’m getting notifications to send money every day . Help me block this person please . 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.